Wordcraft Community Home Page
What do they teach them?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/4870048756

November 30, 2012, 21:06
BobHale
What do they teach them?
I have just watched an episode of Young Apprentice where the teenagers were engaged in a variation on the usual "treasure hunt" task. Mostly it was unremarkable but I did find it amusing that one team spent the whole episode discussing the meaning of "candelabrum" without managing - even once - to pronounce the word correctly. Presuming that the use of a dictionary is banned (surely, if it isn't, SOMEONE should have thought of it.) but even so it isn't that uncommon a word. They still didn't know by the end of the program when Alan Sugar had to tell them.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
November 30, 2012, 21:32
Kalleh
Besides that, Bob, it's one of those words that is fairly easy to just figure out what it means, wouldn't you think?

I was on a word board before starting WC, which was prior to July, 2002. I remember then I used a dictionary for all my word questions. Once, when I mentioned that, someone asked why I didn't just use the online dictionaries. Since then, I haven't used a real dictionary in ages. That is kinda sad, really, because they have a lot more detail. Do others here use real dictionaries, rather than online ones?
December 01, 2012, 01:36
Richard English
So far as I can tell it is one of those strange words whose plural means that same as its singular, both candelabra and candelabrum meaning:

"...Branched candlestick; ornamental; has several lights..."

Richard English
December 01, 2012, 07:42
goofy
Kids today. Get off my lawn!
December 01, 2012, 08:04
<Proofreader>
quote:
one team spent the whole episode discussing the meaning of "candelabrum" without managing - even once - to pronounce the word correctly.

Assuming there was a dictionary available and also assuming they were aware they were not pronouncing the word correctly. If I didn't know it, I would on first seeing it think it might be can-DEL-a-brum.