Wordcraft Community Home Page
Headlines

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/5230086316

January 27, 2011, 20:26
Kalleh
Headlines
Have you heard any funny headlines these days? These two just boggle my mind, though I do know there's always another side to the story:

"Chicago man wears Packers tie to work, is promptly fired" Link

and

"Akron woman jailed over over kids' school address": Link
January 28, 2011, 01:11
arnie
We have the school thing here as well. Lots of parents will move house to get into the catchment area of a particular school that is seen as good. Others are thought to use relative's or friend's addresses as fakes. ISTR at least one instance of a woman being sent to gaol for using a fake address when applying.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
February 07, 2011, 12:41
<Proofreader>
This isn't a headline but I'm sure Kalleh will enjoy it since it's about the neighborliness of Chicago.
February 08, 2011, 02:16
arnie
Amusing, Proof. However, the video doesn't say if the guy got his snow shovel back.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
February 08, 2011, 05:19
<Proofreader>
No, it says she didn't have it when she found her car re-buried. So she either lost it or someone stole her trophy, too.
February 08, 2011, 20:31
Kalleh
Well, I only have my laptop here in Orlando and can't seem to pull the video up...but I can't wait to see it. Yes, when Chicago gets a blizzard, there are many good people who help out, but also some louses. The whole "dibs" situation really irritates me, but it has become a cultural thing in Chicago. I guess they believe they own the street in front of their homes.
February 09, 2011, 16:43
Geoff
http://www.journalgazette.net/...302089963/1002/LOCAL

I guess we can scratch Harry Baals from the list.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
February 10, 2011, 00:44
arnie
I saw that, too. We've a Labour politician over here named Ed Balls. He held cabinet posts in the last Labour government, and unsucessfully ran to become leader of the party. At the moment he's Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (that is, finance). I suspect he won't get many buildings named after him, either. Wink

February 10, 2011, 16:10
Geoff
In Muncie there is a university called "Ball State Univrsity." It easily mondegreens as "Balls Tate University." If one supposed that the brothers Ball (there were five) had loads of chutzpah it would make sense - sorta kinda.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
February 10, 2011, 20:52
Kalleh
I kinda like that Harry Baals! Big Grin
February 25, 2011, 09:24
<Proofreader>
Here's a line from the Huffington Post in a story about a Russian poet.

•Born in 1940 in Leningrad (St. Petersburg), Brodsky's family nearly starved to death during the Siege of Leningrad (1941-1944).

The entire family born in one year. Communism did some wonderful things, didn't it.
March 02, 2011, 20:08
Kalleh
You have to love these headlines! Link

Here are a couple of my favorites: