Wordcraft Community Home Page
What that says to me is...

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/5350003596

September 12, 2019, 19:22
BobHale
What that says to me is...
Lately I have been listening to a lot of podcasts and their sponsorship segments keep featuring things like “Forty pounds off your first order” or “Use this code for a hundred pounds discount”. The only thing those ads say to me is that the product is one that I can’t afford. If there is forty pounds off the first order then the regular monthly order must be more than that. If there is a hundred pounds discount then the product must be expensive enough that they still make a good profit. I also just saw an online ad telling me that if I spent two thousand pounds on a watch I would get a free gift.
If I spend two thousand quid on a a watch I would get a jail sentence for robbing a bank.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
September 12, 2019, 19:55
Geoff
A "free gift?" Is that no longer redundant? I see it often.
September 19, 2019, 20:02
Kalleh
Great point, Geoff. It does seem to be redundant.

I have felt the same way, Bob. There is this ad about putting in a new bathroom and saving $4,000. Wow - how much was it in the first place?
September 23, 2019, 03:58
BobHale
The radio station I listen to is advertising apartments “starting at one million four hundred and fifty thousand pounds”. I reckon I will be able to get that together by the time that I am about four hundred and fifty years old. Of course by then it won’t be enough. Who exactly do they think the station's demographic is?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
September 25, 2019, 18:52
Kalleh
I'll never forget one of our friends who had retired from some kind of a radiology job (high level) at Harvard University. They moved from the Chicago area to a lovely home in Cambridge, MA, which is not cheap. When he retired, he sold the home for a goodly price, I am sure. They wanted to move to Seattle to be close to their son, and ended up buying a lovely home that overlooks Puget Sound. He told me that they hadn't planned to buy such a big (gorgeous) home in their retirement, but he had so much "money rattling around in his pocked," loved the house, so bought it. I thought to myself, I have never had a lot of money rattling around in my pocket! Wink I'll never forget that phrase.