Wordcraft Community Home Page
More evidence of the impending death of the English language

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/5520094976

September 13, 2015, 08:16
CJS
More evidence of the impending death of the English language
The following was seen on a website:

Our main website, is back up, we apologize for the hadware issues.

Count the mistakes, right? And you're guessing that I found this on some insignificant blog? Not so! It came from a dictionary website!!

While it is still up, you can see it here: http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/course .
September 13, 2015, 08:41
Geoff
What's with the "christian religion" spiel on your link? There's no attribution.
September 13, 2015, 09:28
goofy
One comma between the subject and predicate and the English language is dead? It's way more fragile than I thought.
September 13, 2015, 11:00
<Proofreader>
quote:
What's with the "christian religion" spiel on your link? There's no attribution.

If you click on the illustration, you go to a page referring to the 1828 Webster's dictionary, with a discussion of Webster's Christian bent.
September 13, 2015, 21:26
Kalleh
Well, Goofy, it is a dictionary site. That ramps it up in my mind. Also, it is a run-on sentence the way it is.
September 16, 2015, 14:06
CJS
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
One comma between the subject and predicate and the English language is dead? It's way more fragile than I thought.

There's more there than just that. It should have read "Our main website [drop comma] is back up. [period replaces comma] We [capital "W" begins new sentence] apologize for the hardware [misspelling corrected] issues."

In a post 12 words long, a total of 4 mistakes would seem excessive to me if this had been someone's personal blog but, again, it was a dictionary website, a place where one might expect posters to be a tad more erudite.
September 16, 2015, 15:18
goofy
Really 3 mistakes, since the lack of a capital letter flows from the fact that it is one sentence.

It's not really a dictionary site, is it? I mean it's not run by a company that publishes their own dictionary. It seems to provide a copy of Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary, which as I understand it is freely available from other sites as well.
September 16, 2015, 20:30
Kalleh
I don't know the site, but it has a donation part to it, and there are a lot of words defined (4686) in the letter as, for example. I have to agree with CJ on this one, goofy. On Wee Willy's "essay," however, I agree with your remarks, goofy.