Wordcraft Community Home Page
I'm good...

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/586107981

May 30, 2009, 21:36
Kalleh
I'm good...
More and more I'm hearing people say "I'm good" when you offer them a drink or food or something. I had thought about posting it here, and then I found read this article today from The Globe and Mail. While it was about the word "good" generally, toward the end Clements says:
quote:
Of late, many people have started saying "I'm good" when asked whether they would like more to eat or drink. "Care for another glass of red?" "No, thanks, I'm good." I don't know how this came about. Perhaps "good" here means "in good shape." Perhaps it's a relative of another phrase, "it's all good," which is a way of saying "I'm fine" and is used as a substitute for "you're welcome." (If it replaces another substitute, "no problem," I'm all for it.) Or perhaps it's a short form of "good and," which since the 1880s has meant totally, as in "good and tired" or "good and full."

May 31, 2009, 11:51
<Asa Lovejoy>
I think of it as abbreviated, "I'm good to go."
May 31, 2009, 12:09
<Proofreader>
When I'm offered a physic, it's "No,
Let Ma Nature work my innard's flow."
She will soon have it happen --
A start to my crappin' --
And then I'll say, "I'm good to go."
May 31, 2009, 13:54
zmježd
The other day in Japanese class I learned how to turn down an offered goddie: いいえ結構です (iie kekko desu) "No, (I'm) fine," that is "No thanks."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
June 01, 2009, 02:38
arnie
It's not really used over here; not in my hearing, anyway. We'd probably use "I'm OK", which, of course, literally means essentially the same.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 01, 2009, 05:56
BobHale
I wouldn't say "I'm good" but I would say "I'm fine".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 01, 2009, 06:30
Richard English
The "I'm good" construction seems very common in Canada. Which raises the question, if you say "I'm good" when you mean "I'm fine" what do you say when you want to say "I'm good" (as in a child's protestation of proper behaviour).

Richard English
June 01, 2009, 06:53
BobHale
The same. The meaning would surely be clear from the context.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 01, 2009, 06:54
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
The "I'm good" construction seems very common in Canada. Which raises the question, if you say "I'm good" when you mean "I'm fine" what do you say when you want to say "I'm good" (as in a child's protestation of proper behaviour).

In Canada we say "I'm good" to indicate we don't need anything else. We also say "I'm good" to indicate that we're behaving properly. Somehow we manage to avoid confusion. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,