Wordcraft Community Home Page
Deadlihood

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/666104852

August 03, 2009, 15:40
BobHale
Deadlihood
In that little box at the side of my blog that pops up random limericks from the OEDILF, I just got a limerick for the word "deadlihood". As it's not a word I've ever heard I did a Onelook search to see how many dictionaries it's in. Not many is the answer. Still the OEDILF does aim to include all words, however obscure they may be.
What intrigued me was the meaning. Deadlihood is the state of being dead. (At least according to the obsolete MW definition.) So why isn't livelihood the state of being alive?

(Just being a touch facetious, I know there is no reason why livelihood has to be the opposite of deadlihood. It just damned well ought to be.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
August 03, 2009, 17:59
tsuwm
two things:
1) deadlihood = deadlihead
2) deadlihood is not only obs., but rare; i.e., the the OED only has one citation for it
3) there is another sense for livlihood = livliness = livlihead (see 1))

oops, that was three(3) things. I lied.
August 03, 2009, 19:11
tinman
An obsolete meaning of livelihood is "the quality or state of being lively," according to M-W Online, and an obsolete meaning of lively is "living." The OED Online says that the suffix -hood was originally a distinct word but that it was used so often in combination with other words that it survived only as a suffix. In its own words:

August 03, 2009, 19:13
Kalleh
Nice to see you again, tsuwm.

Interestingly, there is a livelihead in the OED, too.
quote:
So why isn't livelihood the state of being alive?
Well, this definition from the OED is close: "The course of a person's life, lifetime; kind or manner of life; conduct."