Wordcraft Community Home Page
All-Noun Headlines

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/7590062376

September 07, 2014, 02:40
Stanley
All-Noun Headlines
Don't know if anything has been posted about these before, but they always make me laugh. As it sounds - it's where you get long headlines that are entirely made of nouns or contain a long run of nouns in them.

Anyone else seen any of these? Post a link here to your favourites if you see any good ones!

This one's quite impressive: "Profit Distribution Plan share buy back offer acceptance notice" - although presumably "buy back" should actually be one word, so this comes in at 8 nouns long. Also it's not a headline, so perhaps it doesn't count.

Anyone top that? Big Grin

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.
September 07, 2014, 06:46
arnie
Language Log often has fun with these.

In addition, these noun piles often end up as crash blossoms.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 07, 2014, 10:05
Stanley
Hehe, I love the term "crash blossoms"! Adding that to the mental wossname.

Stanley noun pile conversation word game possibility wonder.

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.
September 08, 2014, 21:02
Kalleh
Isn't share used as a verb there?
September 08, 2014, 22:33
arnie
No, Kalleh. It's a noun, meaning 'stock'. The fact that it looks like a verb adds to the confusion when trying to parse it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 09, 2014, 04:05
Geoff
Hmmmm.... redolent of "Odour of Chrysanthemums." by D.H. Lawrence. If one expires in a crash, aren't mums crash blossoms? Roll Eyes
September 09, 2014, 21:06
Kalleh
Of course, arnie. Now it makes total sense; last night it didn't. I must have been tired.