Wordcraft Community Home Page
Spell check

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/7610051966

January 28, 2014, 20:10
BobHale
Spell check
Another oddity with spell checking while writing a review of Ender's Game

It didn't like "sci-fi" but its suggestions were "sci-phi", "sci-fee", "sci-f" and "sci-i" - none of which is actually a genuine expression. Doesn't do well with hyphenated words, does it?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
January 28, 2014, 22:16
arnie
Don't use it at all. Use "SF".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 29, 2014, 05:55
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Don't use it at all. Use "SF".

In the US, "SF" suggests "San Francisco." While San Francisco is a bit surreal, it's not total fantasy.
January 29, 2014, 10:41
arnie
Ender's Game is science fiction, not fantasy. Although frequently lumped together by bookshops and the like, they are two different genres, although it must be granted that the line between them is often blurred in some works.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 29, 2014, 11:31
<Proofreader>
quote:
Although frequently lumped together by bookshops and the like, they are two different genres, although it must be granted that the line between them is often blurred in some works.

Not really. SF is highly intelligent beings striving to improve the universe while fantasy is right wing politics.
January 29, 2014, 23:08
Kalleh
It reminds me of the auto-correction of Apple - sometimes I can't believe what it comes up with. Here are some funny ones.
January 30, 2014, 16:22
<Proofreader>
I don't know if their spell check failed but today's local paper had the headline:

Bieber Turns Himself Into Police.

Not only a singer but now a magician.
January 31, 2014, 22:23
Kalleh
Funny, Proof!