Wordcraft Community Home Page
PEANUTS!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/783103563

November 02, 2009, 13:53
<Proofreader>
PEANUTS!
On a TV commercial, the narrator says he wants' some "peanut brickle." I've heard of "peanut brittle" but not that. Is there a difference between them? And what is the difference?
November 02, 2009, 18:48
tinman
They're the same thing. At first I thought brickle was just a mispronunciation of brittle, but a little digging convinced me it's dialect.

The Word Detective (while discussing "work-brickle") says
quote:
“brickle” [is] " the Scots and English dialect form of “brittle” and a form common in the Midwestern US and Appalachia." ...
“Peanut brittle,” easily breakable (thus “brittle”) hard toffee containing peanuts, is also known, in the US, as “peanut brickle.”

M-W simply says that "brickle" is dialect for "brittle." Dictionary.com expands on that:
quote:
brick⋅le
  
adjective Midland and Southern U.S.
easily broken; brittle.
Origin:
bef. 1000; Brit. dial., Scots; late ME bryckell, OE -brycel tending to break, equiv. to bryc- (mutated ptp. s. of brecan to break ) + -el adj. suffix

November 02, 2009, 19:50
Kalleh
A reader sent me this link after reading these posts. That's my hubs' favorite ice cream.

We Americans do love our brittles and brickles, though personally I think peanut brittle is awful. I'd never waste a bunch of calories on that! Wink Butter brickle ice cream is another story!
November 03, 2009, 00:37
Richard English
I have never heard of peanut brittle being pronounced as "brickle" - although it might conceivably be a Scots expression. Scottish accents are all quite different from all English accents - although I don't know whether US ears can detect that.

Richard English
November 04, 2009, 17:14
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Scottish accents are all quite different from all English accents - although I don't know whether US ears can detect that.

When we stayed in Stirling, the hotel owner said all sorts of things to us, but I couldn't understand a word.
November 04, 2009, 19:09
<Proofreader>
Several years ago, I walked to the bottom of an embankment to take pictures of a waterfall in the Great Smokies National Park. I left my wife at the top in the parking area near another couple. When I returned my wife was glassy-eyed trying to understand what the woman was saying. As I approached, the woman was saying, "En ah knowed y'all warn't fum roun her cause them tegs on yur cur is dif'rent." (And I knew you weren't from around here because the tags [license plates] on your car were different.)
The woman was from Kentucky and her accent could just as well have been Scottish to my wife.
December 31, 2009, 02:41
Matthew08
quote:
Where can I buy Virginia peanuts?

Does anyone know of a store or vendor in the area that sells Virginia peanuts? I recall there possibly being a vendor at the King's Street Farmer's Market that sells them but I'm not sure. I need to give them as a gift and I don't have time left to order them over the internet.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Matthew08,
December 31, 2009, 03:11
Richard English
quote:
Does anyone know of a store or vendor in the area that sells Virginia peanuts?

Which area?

Richard English
January 01, 2010, 08:59
Geoff
She could change her name from Virginia to Alice and see if they'd sell her peanuts.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti