Wordcraft Community Home Page
Freeze!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/811100522

July 04, 2009, 08:49
BobHale
Freeze!
I decided to pop over to the OEDILF, where I haven't been for a while now, and write a couple of limericks for them. In the word list I found "dethaw" which is listed in about half a dozen One-look sources as an informal synonym for "thaw". Shouldn't it mean "freeze"?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 04, 2009, 08:53
<Proofreader>
Thertainly not. A dethaw ith what kidth go up and down on in the playground.
July 04, 2009, 09:13
goofy
Maybe it should mean "freeze", but it doesn't. It's the same process of affixal intensification we find in debone, unravel and irradiate.
July 04, 2009, 09:24
BobHale
I know. It's just one I hadn't really heard before.

July 04, 2009, 12:55
<Asa Lovejoy>
A colloquialsim, now almost extinct around here, "silver thaw," meant the opposite of thaw. It referred to an ice storm.
July 04, 2009, 13:01
BobHale
I suspect that unconsciously people associated de- with undoing something and see "freezing" as something being done and "thawing" as something being undone so that de- must be associated with the negative act. Hence dethaw must be the same as unfreeze, even though they should be logical opposites.

July 05, 2009, 04:59
arnie
I can't ever recall coming across dethaw. The word I've always seen on packets of food intended for the freezer and so on is defrost.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 05, 2009, 06:26
<Proofreader>
quote:
food intended for the freezer and so on is defrost.

Isn't that a movie? DeFrost-DeNixon?
July 05, 2009, 20:32
Kalleh
z has mentioned the word dethaw here before. Apparently there is an unthaw, too.
July 05, 2009, 22:00
wordmatic
Welcome back from S.A., Kalleh!

WM