Wordcraft Community Home Page
la Ŝava alfabeto

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/840107544

January 03, 2010, 15:07
zmježd
la Ŝava alfabeto
While puttering around the Web today, I came across something that combines a couple of my favorite quirks: conlangs (constructed languages), English spelling reforms, and weird fonts. George Bernard Shaw had a provision in his will to fund a contest to design a phonemic alphabet for the English language. The result was the Shavian alphabet (link). Only one book that I know of was printed in it, an 1962 edition of Shaw's Androcles and the Lion. A Brition, Ĝan Ŭesli Starling, adapted the Shavian alphabet for writing Esperanto (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 03, 2010, 17:00
Geoff
I'd not seen Esperanto written previously, but I could swear I was reading Romanian.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
January 03, 2010, 20:49
Kalleh
Why, according to that Wikipedia link, are l and r considered "liquids?"
January 04, 2010, 00:24
Richard English
Should my computer be able to translate those strange characters, such as 010 over 452
into proper letters? As it is I am unable to read some of that Wikipedia article.

What's more, I am unable to paste any of these codes into this response as an example since the inclusion of any one of them gives me a "the page you requested does not exist" error when I try to do so.

Richard English
January 04, 2010, 03:18
arnie
Some older browsers, particularly Internet Explorer, don't have proper Unicode support. I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version.

Also, from the Wikipedia article:
quote:
Support for this part of Unicode is fairly new, and not all computer systems support it. Unicode Shavian fonts are also still quite rare

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 04, 2010, 04:42
Richard English
quote:
Some older browsers, particularly Internet Explorer, don't have proper Unicode support. I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version.

I use Firefox (the latest version)

Richard English
January 04, 2010, 06:32
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Why, according to that Wikipedia link, are l and r considered "liquids?"

That's just a cover term for English l and r. It's so we can have a phonological rule that applies to both sounds, by saying it applies to "liquids".
January 04, 2010, 06:56
zmježd
I had to install a free font to be able to see the Shavian alphabet glyphs. When you see boxes with two digit hexadecimal numbers one above the other, it's usually a sign that the font being used to display does not have the Unicode glyph in question and so it displays its Unicode number instead.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.