Wordcraft Community Home Page
This name made me laugh

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/850101086

July 29, 2010, 17:12
Geoff
This name made me laugh
http://www.goochlandgazette.com/

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
July 30, 2010, 07:24
zmježd
Goochland is named after the Gooch family. The name is of Welsh origin, and meant red. Cf. Welsh goch /goχ/.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 30, 2010, 18:06
Geoff
So the pronunciation and spelling have drifted a lot since the family showed up in the New World. Of course, that's nothing new.

The name reminds me of someone talking baby talk while tickling a baby, i.e. "goochy-goochy-goochy!" One more example of how many pebbles got mixed in with the salad of our multi-linguistic heritage.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
August 02, 2010, 01:26
arnie
I've come across several people with the last name of Gooch. Probably the most famous (outside the USA of course), is Graham Gooch, who was an England Test cricketer; he retired about ten years ago.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
August 02, 2010, 20:41
Kalleh
I've not heard the name in the U.S., though apparently it is slang for the perineal area in a man...that space between the scrotum and anus.
August 02, 2010, 21:29
zmježd
that space between the scrotum and anus.

Taint?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
August 04, 2010, 18:05
Geoff
Or vulva and anus? Why not both genders?

August 04, 2010, 19:10
zmježd
Why not both genders?

Maybe she was using the male apparatus as the generic term. Like with pronouns. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
August 04, 2010, 19:41
Geoff
You mean when you put the two nominatives together they become genitive?

August 04, 2010, 19:56
Kalleh
"She?" Do you mean me? I was only citing what I'd found here. Believe me, it's not a professional term for the perineum.

[By the way, I asked my kids if they'd heard of the word "gooch" to mean the area between the scrotum and the anus. They said no, but answered another question I had. They said, "That's the taint." That's when I understood z's post!]
August 05, 2010, 08:04
zmježd
"She?" Do you mean me? I was only citing what I'd found here. Believe me, it's not a professional term for the perineum.

Sorry. The onliest terms I've read or heard for the perineum is either taint or perineum. There's a folk etymology that goers along with the former: 'Tain't one or the other."

You mean when you put the two nominatives together they become genitive?

Huh? Not sure I understand. If you put two nominatives together they agree with one another. If you're talking about nominal compounds, the -s possessive is oftentimes elided. Baseball, truck driver, &c.

[Added an elided -s.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
August 05, 2010, 18:03
Geoff
Sorry, z, it was a very feeble attempt at a pun. Frown

August 05, 2010, 20:44
Kalleh
Is taint a nasty word? When I asked my kids about it, they rather cringed. But then they said it wasn't a nasty word (i.e. disgusting, like cunt), when I asked them. I think I had just embarrassed them, but I really wasn't sure.
August 06, 2010, 02:25
tinman
No, taint isn't a nasty word. But the definition of it can be pretty crude, depending on what you substitute for one or the other (see z's definition - "'Tain't one or the other."