Wordcraft Community Home Page
Mixed Metaphors

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/8911080512

June 29, 2005, 11:53
arnie
Mixed Metaphors
When you were at school you were probably taught that it was important to never split an infinitive. Ending a sentence with a preposition was frowned on. And you must never start a sentence with a preposition.

Since then, many now feel that those 'rules' were incorrect. I wonder, does anybody feel the same about the rule that says that you shouldn't mix metaphors? I noticed a particularly astonishing one the other day that I'm pretty sure wasn't deliberate, just the speaker didn't think properly about what he was saying.

I can't remember the exact quote, but it was along the lines of "There were a few rotten apples who caused the rest to be tarred with the same brush."

Any other good/bad mixed metaphors?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 29, 2005, 12:02
BobHale
To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 03, 2005, 12:52
shufitz
> mixed metaphors

In the press, about how to prod Saudi Arabia towards a more democratic government:This could be fun!
July 03, 2005, 20:07
Kalleh
quote:
I wonder, does anybody feel the same about the rule that says that you shouldn't mix metaphors?

I don't feel the same way. Many of the grammatical rules are arbitrary. Surely we all know what is meant when a sentence ends with a preposition. However, with mixed metaphors, the original meaning is changed.

Here are a few from the Web. I liked, "It's not rocket surgery" and "You're pulling the leg over my eyes." Big Grin
July 04, 2005, 18:16
Caterwauller
Listen to what I'm showing you! Don't you see what I'm saying? Two in the bush is always better than a rolling stone! I'm feeling fit as a fiddle and ready to fry!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama