Wordcraft Community Home Page
Singular!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/892102254

January 08, 2010, 08:20
BobHale
Singular!
From the very same shop that brought you this, today another window-sized poster.

Nike Woven Pant

Half Price

Maximum two per customer

I've never seen a singular pant but, as it's less than the maximum, I'm tempted to go in and ask for one.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
January 08, 2010, 08:36
zmježd
pant

Maybe the shop is hot. No, according to the news it should be cool.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 08, 2010, 15:37
goofy
I am reminded of this.
January 08, 2010, 21:54
Kalleh
I've seen pant, with the meaning of trousers, in the singular. Here is an example.
January 09, 2010, 11:08
wordmatic
I've heard it too, on fashion TV shows like Project Runway. The fashionistas use it frequently.

WM
January 09, 2010, 12:14
Geoff
"Pant" it should be. When the late Marcel Marceau got dressed he did not do a pantsomime.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
January 09, 2010, 14:02
BobHale
And here I was thinking that mime was always pants.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
January 09, 2010, 16:31
tinman
The OED Online says that pants originally was a shortened form of pantaloons and referred to them only. Later pants came too mean any type of trousers (and panties and pantalettes). Pant was a shortened form of pantleg, referring to one leg of a pantaloon (or pantaloons) and later of all trousers. Therefore, a pair of pants (often just pants) was a pantaloon (trousers).

I don't know when a pair of pants began to be called a pant, but I've noticed it more often in the last few years. But pant for pair of pants has been in use much longer than I thought, as evidenced by this ad from the Lewiston Evening Journal - Jul 11, 1903.

The oldest use I've found is from Southland Times (New Zealand), 25 February 1903: "Masters' pants at 6s 11d, a good strong saddle tweed pant, usually sold at 10s 6d."
January 09, 2010, 19:00
Geoff
I should not worry about the singular; worry about the singularity! http://singularity.com/

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti