Wordcraft Community Home Page
I don't get it

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/934101001

March 19, 2009, 10:53
<Proofreader>
I don't get it
Here's an interesting new word I found on the web today.

sexting: Sending a salacious text message. [Blend of sex and texting.] —sext v.,
n. —sexter

I think I'm on their "do not call" list.
March 19, 2009, 15:56
Kalleh
Can't say that I've heard it. I searched Google and found a few citations (such as Word Spy) using it, but not many.
March 19, 2009, 17:50
<Asa Lovejoy>
I don't understand what's meant by a text message. Isn't this a text message?
March 20, 2009, 21:15
Kalleh
That's a good point, Asa. I think most people understand it to mean those messages sent by a cell phone, but all of these messages are text messages, aren't they? Technically, at least.
March 21, 2009, 02:44
Richard English
quote:
That's a good point, Asa. I think most people understand it to mean those messages sent by a cell phone, but all of these messages are text messages, aren't they? Technically, at least.

I think this discussion is about txt msgs not text messages.

Richard English
March 21, 2009, 03:14
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:

I think this discussion is about txt msgs not text messages.

And I think Asa is a very smart guy who sometimes fails to have his humour recognised by his peers, which is odd as it often strikes me as having a very British quality to it. (By which I mean he often makes remarks that I might have made.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
March 21, 2009, 12:27
Caterwauller
I've heard the term "sexting" in discussions about how teens are using technology and how they are getting into trouble with it.

And I agree with you, Bob - I think you and Asa have very similar humor genes.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
March 21, 2009, 20:04
Kalleh
quote:
Asa is a very smart guy who sometimes fails to have his humour recognised by his peers,
I agree that Asa has a great sense of humor and that he is smart. However, in my defense (as apparently I missed the humor), I don't think not getting humor means you're not so smart. Humor seems to be very different for different people.