Wordcraft Community Home Page
Eponyms from Shakespeare

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/1531023374

June 26, 2007, 13:02
wordcrafter
Eponyms from Shakespeare
This week we'll look at eponyms from Shakespeare. Unsurprisingly, many characters of so prominent an author have been used as eponyms. The surprise is how few of those eponyms have become well known. Often it is hard to tell if the name is being used as an eponym, or simply as a literary reference.

Shakespeare uses yesterday's word moon-calf three times, all in The Tempest. All refer to his character Caliban, is 'a salvage and deformed slave' (Dram. Personæ), who gives us our first Shakespearean eponym.

Caliban – a man of degraded bestial nature
There seems to be a sense of ‘ill-combined contradictory parts, as in our first two quotes.
June 27, 2007, 10:16
wordcrafter
Wouldn’t this be a useful word?

Dogberry – an ignorant, self-important official
[From the name of a foolish constable in Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing. Note: I would add that he is typically of the police force or the like. Congressmen are often ignorant and self-important, but you would not call them Dogberries.]
June 27, 2007, 15:34
bethree5
This reminds me of 'Barney', Don Knotts' deputy to the sheriff, on the old Andy Griffith Show-- a dogberry from Mayberry.
June 28, 2007, 01:21
arnie
It's similar to a "jobsworth". He's a petty official who delights in sticking to the letter of the law. When asked to apply a little commonsense he'll (it's almost always a man) suck his teeth and reply "Ooh, can't do that. It's more than me job's worth!"

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 28, 2007, 09:34
wordmatic
A Capulet is the same thing as a Capellet, according to Webster's. And a Capellet is "A swelling, like a wen, on the point of the elbow (or the heel of the hock) of a horse, caused probably by bruises in lying down."

So did this veterinary condition take its name from Juliet's family?

Sounds painful.

Wordmatic
June 28, 2007, 17:31
wordcrafter
Today, another useful word that no one ever seems to use. (I can't find any example later than the 19th century.)

benedict – a newly married man; esp. an apparently confirmed bachelor who marries. [From the character of that name in Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing.]
June 29, 2007, 03:19
pearce
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wordcrafter:
benedict – a newly married man; esp. an apparently confirmed bachelor who marries. [From the character of that name in Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing[QUOTE]

What a lovely word.
Of course Shakespeare's usage in this context was probably original (always a dangerous assertion), but stemming from Latin: [I]bene dicere
the words benedict and benedicite were used as early as the 14th century, variously expressing praise, blessing or astonishment (cf. Good gracious).
It is arguable what that has to do with the decision of a confirmed bachelor to marry.
June 29, 2007, 03:39
jerry thomas
Ave Maria
Gratia Plena
Dominus tecum
Benedicta* tu in mulierebus
et benedictus*
fructus ventris tu Jesu ...

* blessed
June 29, 2007, 06:46
zmježd
et benedictus* fructus ventris tu Jesu ...

... fructus ventris tui, Jesus ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
June 29, 2007, 09:02
jerry thomas
Et benedictus tu, zmjezd.

(( Did you ever find out why they gave that kid a Mexican name ?? ))
June 29, 2007, 10:47
zmježd
Et benedictus tu, zmjezd.

Blessed, I am not; blasted, perhaps.

Mexican name.

I had a friend in high school named Jesus. When I saw him at the 30th year reunion, I was the only person calling him that. He had since moved on to Jesse.

Bene dicere means literally 'to speak well (of)'. Male dicere is 'to speak bad (of)'. Beatus is 'blessed'. Yields our beatified.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
June 29, 2007, 16:54
wordcrafter
Othello – trade-name for a certain board game (generically, reversi)
Players take turns placing pieces which are black on one side and white on the other, each placing with his color showing on top. With certain moves, a play may "flip" some of his opponent's pieces, converting them from the opponents color to his own. So with a flip, the fortunes of the game can change quickly.

Why was the game was named for Shakespeare's tragedy? There are at least three different views. I find the first the most convincing.
June 30, 2007, 14:33
wordcrafter
Portia – a female advocate or barrister.
[from Portia, the name of the heroine of Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice. And very rarely used, as far as I can tell.]
June 30, 2007, 15:06
Richard English
quote:
Portia – a female advocate or barrister...And very rarely used

Except that, unknown to many, her name is almost the exact pronunciation of the name of Germany's most famous sports car - the Porsche.

Richard English
July 01, 2007, 07:59
zmježd
unknown to many

Unless you've seen the movie A Fish Called Wanda or read, discussed, or seen the play The Merchant of Venice. But common mispronunciations of proper names is both fun and funny: the Irish form of Catherine, i.e., Caitlin (which used to be pronounced similar to Cathleen) has given rise to new spellings, e.g., Catelyn, Katelin.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 01, 2007, 09:13
neveu
Or watched Rumpole of the Bailey.
July 01, 2007, 12:16
wordcrafter
So far, all of our Shakespearian eponyms have been obscure words. There’s only one such eponym that is familiar enough to be used in everyday speech – as in the example below.

Romeo – a lover, a passionate admirer; a seducer, a habitual pursuer of women
[from the name of the hero of Shakespeare's tragedy Romeo and Juliet]

How odd. This definition, by OED, would encompass a female “lover” or “admirer” or “seducer”. But a Romeo is always a male, of course. Were the OED editors of the view that only a male can be a “seducer,” etc.?
July 02, 2007, 14:10
wordcrafter
from Prospero, the name of the magician in Shakespeare's Tempest:

Prospero – a person or thing like Prospero, esp. in being capable of magic or of influencing others' behaviour or perceptions without their knowledge