Wordcraft Community Home Page
Occupations Surviving as Surnames

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/1891007944

April 03, 2007, 07:06
wordcrafter
Occupations Surviving as Surnames
When people first took surnames, many used the name of their occupation. Thus Tom the miller, John the baker, and William the smith might become known as Tom Miller, John Baker, and William Smith. When we see those surnames today, we recognize them as occupational names.

Many names come similarly from occupations that have long since been forgotten. This week we'll recall some now-forgotten occupations, in Merrie Olde England, that survive as familiar surnames. We'll start with one which, though previously presented here, allows us to present one of last week's words.

chandler – (orig.) a candle-maker or candle-seller; also, a retailer of specified goods or lines [typ. nautical]; also (chiefly Brit.), a small shopkeeper selling provisions, groceries, etc.
April 04, 2007, 07:48
wordcrafter
cooper – a barrel-maker or barrel-repairer
April 04, 2007, 07:52
zmježd
A cooper in German is a Fassbinder. This is also a surname.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
April 04, 2007, 08:09
arnie
When I was young, our family's next-door neighbours were Mr and Mrs Cooper. Mr Cooper had been a cooper. He was retired at the time I knew him, but he'd worked for Courage's brewery in London.

It wasn't until several years afterwards that I realised how apposite was his last name, and I wonder if it had any bearing on his choice of a trade.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
April 05, 2007, 06:46
wordcrafter
webster – a weaver
[the root means "web", a nice image. I quote the Scottish version of the word]
April 05, 2007, 07:51
missann
I have met people with the names of "Bledsoe," "Slaughter" and "Hippkiss." I shudder to think what the origins of their names might be.
April 06, 2007, 07:17
wordcrafter
wainwright – a wagon-maker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
April 07, 2007, 05:58
wordcrafter
granger – a farmer
April 07, 2007, 21:09
wordcrafter
mercer – cloth merchant
April 09, 2007, 20:47
wordcrafter