Wordcraft Community Home Page
Confusing Doublets, redux

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/196100687

September 20, 2004, 06:48
wordcrafter
Confusing Doublets, redux
Several months ago we said, "This week we'll present seven pairs of easily-confused words. This being Wordcraft, however, our pairs will not be so commonplace as imply/infer or lie/lay."

We return to that thought and, as then, "We start with a pair half of which is familiar."

solecism – 1. a word blunder: a nonstandard usage or grammatical construction 2. a social blunder: a violation of etiquette; an impropriety
solipsism – the philosophical view that the self is all that exists, or is all that can be known to exist
September 21, 2004, 08:29
wordcrafter
Yesterday's word solipsism leads us naturally to today's two words. Though they are often used interchangeably, and that use is quite proper, there is a distinction.

egoism – excessive concern for oneself (often with an inflated sense of self-importance)
egotism – talking about oneself too much; self-exaltation; self-praise; magnifying or parading oneself (in words or in action)

Our first quotation keys on the distinction between the two, in careful speech. Says MW, "Egoism is a state in which the feelings are concentrated on one's self. Its expression is egotism. Egotism is the acting out of self-conceit, or self-importance, in words and exterior conduct."

September 22, 2004, 07:26
wordcrafter
incommensurable – without a common measure on which to compare; "like apples and oranges"commensurate – of corresponding size or degree; proportionate (can also mean "commensurable")commensal(zoology) of a relation where one species obtains benefits from another without damaging or benefiting it. (contrast parasitic, symbiotic; MW Unabridged says, "both species may be benefited.") [originally, "eating at the same table"]
September 23, 2004, 08:22
wordcrafter
venial – forgivable; not heinous; pardonable
. . . .[A venial sin is often contrasted with a mortal sin, in Catholic religious doctrine.]
venal – corruptible; open to bribery
. . . .[Venal is related to vendor, with the underlying sense of "available for purchase".]
venery¹ – sexual love (adj. venereal)
venery² – the act or sport of hunting (adj. venatic; venatical)
. . . .[Each sense of venery comes, sensibly, from the root wen- "to desire, strive for". From that same root are win, wish, and venerate.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
September 23, 2004, 09:42
Kalleh
Venial always reminds me of the Catholics and their venial sins. If I recall, they have mortal and venial sins. Here is a Web site defining them. I don't mean to start a big religious discussion. I am just wondering if those sins are talked about as much as they were when I was a child.
September 24, 2004, 06:41
wordcrafter
That which is easily understood, vs. he who is good at understanding.

perspicuous – clearly expressed; easy to understand
perspicacious – having penetrating mental discernment, keen understanding

To remember which is which, it may help to associate 'perspicuous' with 'conspicuous'.Allow me to share an older quotation, on the subject of words. From Thomas Hobbes, A Brief Of The Art Of Rhetorick, Bk. III ch. II, Of the Choice of Words and Epithets:
September 25, 2004, 08:19
wordcrafter
Yesterday we had a word-pair about clarity. Today's pair concerns obscurity. The dictionaries obscure the meanings in a tangle of inconsistencies between dictionaries and, sometimes, within a single dictionary.

To disentangle: just as "I see," can mean, "My eyes behold," or, "I understand," so too something obscure can hard to view, or hard to understand. Today's terms make that distinction.

obscurant – something that obscures to the vision, as a smokescreen [chiefly military] (adj: tending to obscure visually: obscurant clouds)
obscurantist – one who writes with deliberate vagueness, obscure to the understanding (adj: so written)*Also, our words have a second sense, in which they are synonymous.
obscurant; obscurantist – one opposing new ideas or social or political reform (adj: opposed to same)
*Andy Rooney missed the distinction, in Sincerely, Andy Rooney: "His booklet of black poems seems pretentious. I took little from a first reading. Anyone who decides to write poetry, should first master prose. I have not read enough of Ken Boulding's prose to know whether or not he had a license to write obscurant verse."
September 26, 2004, 10:06
wordcrafter
The sound of a word in one language might coincidentally also be a word, in another language, but with entirely different meaning. For example, to a Spaniard the sound [sē] (long e) means "yes," while in English the same sound means either "view" or "body of water" (see or sea).

Simalarly, Hebe in Greek was the goddess of youth, while hebes in Latin meant "dull" (like either a dull knife or a dull mind). Naturally, the English words derived from Greek Hebe and from Latin hebes have very similar sounds, but very different meanings.

hebetic – occurring at puberty [Gk Hebe=youth]
hebetude – mental dullness; lethargy [L hebes=dull]
. . .(adj: hebetudinous; hebate. verb: hebetate – to stupefy; to make dull
Note: With minor exception, this is mental dullness only. You cannot speak of "a hebate knife".

These words look very useful, and I commend them to you. But each is extremely rare. Indeed, for hebetic I can't find a single decent quotation.
October 05, 2004, 04:38
Robert Arvanitis
A few of my favorite pairings (errings?):

Bathos/pathos
Extant/extent
Paramount/tantamount

(Is there such a thing as a drive-by posting?)

RJA