Wordcraft Community Home Page
Miscellany

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/200109515

February 28, 2010, 19:53
wordcrafter
Miscellany
To encourage myself to restart our words, I’m selecting a theme that will be easy for me: no theme at all.

raiment – (archaic or literary) clothing [In my view, this has the sense of a costume put on for show.]
[related to “array”. A shortened form of the old word “arrayment” dress, outfit]
March 02, 2010, 06:56
wordcrafter
nevus – a birthmark
[Latin; plural nevi]
March 04, 2010, 11:29
wordcrafter
A new word, not yet in the dictionaries, from the world of sport. Specifically, from the spot of football, the one that USns choose to call “soccer”.

paradinha. [pronounced par-a-JEEN-ya; Portuguese for “little stop"] – a devastating penalty-kick maneuver. The shooter pauses unexpectedly before striking the ball—or even swings his foot through the air several times—before making contact. It's designed to throw off the goalkeeper's timing.

The move can have jaw-dropping results. Last month in a Brazilian professional game, a striker whose name is Neymar lined up to take a penalty kick. He began jogging slowly up to the ball, then suddenly accelerated his pace, then stopped abruptly, almost backpedaling. The goalie jumped off his feet toward his right side, leaving Neymar free to kick the ball into the opposite lower corner for an easy goal.

The paradinha’s legality is questioned. It isn't explicitly prohibited by current rules of FIFA, and pending possible rule-change or -clarification, it will be up to each referee to decide whether to permit the move at the World Cup, or whether to punish the maneuver as "unsporting behavior." "This is cheating," said FIFA President Joseph Blatter. "This 'stopping' must be stopped."

There is a history behind Brazil’s development of this move:
March 04, 2010, 20:31
Kalleh
So great to see you back, Wordcrafter! Love the word.
March 07, 2010, 21:05
wordcrafter
The dictionaries define today’s word as applying to water. But it can be used more broadly, as our quote shows.

catchment1. catching or collecting of water, especially rainwater 2. a reservoir , etc., for that collecting; the water so collected; the broader area from which collected
March 14, 2010, 19:34
wordcrafter
On a word site, it’s fitting to quote a book review titled Beginning With the Word. (The review’s subtitle tells the subject: How the cadences and diction of the King James Bible affected the prose style of American writers.)
October 01, 2017, 13:56
Paxx
Seeking words that represent the idea of:
"To rise from the ashes"
"Phoenix-like"
"A firey rebirth"
What single or compound words do you know that represent this idea?
October 01, 2017, 17:41
Geoff
Howdy, Paxx!

Not quite what you want, perhaps, but I'll suggest metamorphosis
October 31, 2017, 19:36
Kalleh
Wow - I missed you, Paxx. I do like your image. Smile
November 01, 2017, 18:17
<Proofreader>
Resurrection?