Wordcraft Community Home Page
Spelling Bee!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/2570047946

June 01, 2012, 04:30
bethree5
Spelling Bee!
US Spelling Bee winner got it with guetapens; 3rd placer missed schvonoma; earlier in week a contender (um a 6-y.o.) bested by ingluvies-- she knew the word, just forgot how to spell it (!). Bluffing game fans take note.
June 02, 2012, 04:43
wordmatic
And the winner won after practicing for hours a day using 30,000 flash cards made by her father. It was a family obsession.

I've never heard any of those words.

WM
June 03, 2012, 11:14
<Proofreader>
Isn't it unfair to ask contestants to spell obsucre FRENCH words in an American contest?
June 03, 2012, 14:14
Geoff
Yeah, they shoulda used good old American words like pizza and soy jizzum and glaznost. Damn that Guillaume le Bâtard!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
June 03, 2012, 15:18
<Proofreader>
Those are loan words, not obscure words not even in American-Wnglish dics.
June 03, 2012, 18:39
Geoff
Them ain't loan words - we stole 'em fair an' square!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
June 03, 2012, 19:31
<Proofreader>
Wnglish? I'm not getting into that spelling bee.
June 04, 2012, 20:20
Kalleh
Did you see the cute little 6-year-old in the spelling bee? She lost, but she was the youngest ever!
June 05, 2012, 05:38
wordmatic
I did. I'm voting for her for president in 2032. She'll certainly be smart enough!

WM
June 05, 2012, 08:45
<Proofreader>
quote:
I'm voting for her for president in 2032. She'll certainly be smart enough!

At least better than Dan Quayle.
June 05, 2012, 09:51
goofy
I'm not convinced that the ability to memorize the spellings of English words is connected with intelligence.
June 06, 2012, 08:03
wordmatic
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
I'm not convinced that the ability to memorize the spellings of English words is connected with intelligence.
OK, maybe only a very particular type of intelligence. Maybe an "idiot savant" or photographic memory thing. Still, impressive.

WM
June 06, 2012, 13:40
Kalleh
Goofy, I think it's much more than that. They learn the different etymologies and spelling intricacies of each. I do think it's related to intelligence, at least at those top levels.
June 06, 2012, 20:58
goofy
I don't see how learning the spelling intricacies of different etymologies is nothing more than memorization.

Apparently some good writers were bad spellers.
June 09, 2012, 05:46
BobHale
I think you may have cross-threaded an over-negation in there goofy, m'boy. Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 09, 2012, 05:50
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I think you may have cross-threaded an over-negation in there goofy, m'boy. Smile

OMG you're right!
June 21, 2012, 19:43
Kalleh
I think there is more to understanding etymologies and their spelling intricacies than memorization, but if you don't, so be it. I am surprised, though, since you have studied linguistics and language.

I suppose some would say all learning is memorization, though not me. Memorization is part of learning of course, but one needs to think critically for making decisions. No nurse would make it with just memorization. I don't think a spelling bee contestant would, either.
June 23, 2012, 20:14
goofy
In terms of spelling bees and etymologies, what is required other than to memorize the spelling patterns of various etymologies? So for instance if the word has a Greek etymology, you know it is spelled this way, and if the etymology is Latin, you know it is spelled that way?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,
July 27, 2012, 04:18
bethree5
More spelling:

The Guardian headline 7-27:
BELLS PEEL ACROSS BRITAIN AS GAMES GET UNDERWAY

I just hate when that happens. Why can't the Brits keep them in belfries where they belong?p.s. that was a Reuters feed error to Google News, I guess.. corrected already!