Wordcraft Community Home Page
Lifestyles, "On the street where you live"

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/461109828

September 27, 2004, 08:29
wordcrafter
Lifestyles, "On the street where you live"
Where you live can say much about who you are. This week's words tell of the streets where you and others live.

easy street – a state of financial comfort or security
September 27, 2004, 08:44
arnie
quote:
No more halving spicy poorboys
I assume this doesn't mean what it sounds like! Red Face

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 28, 2004, 08:54
wordcrafter
If you move way up from easy street, you might even reach Park Avenue.

Park Avenue – the world of those who are ultra-rich in both money and social standing
The first quotation encapsulates it perfectly.Park Avenue in Manhattan has long been a fashionable and very expensive address. The dictionaries have not picked up the metaphorical sense, but Online Etymology notes "Park Avenue as an adj. meaning 'luxurious and fashionable'," dating from 1956. Indeed. The advertising world slaps the Park Avenue name on everything from real estate to automobiles to even dog carriers, to denote high-class luxury.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
September 29, 2004, 07:22
wordcrafter
You might rise from Easy Street to Park Avenue. But if things go ill you may find yourself on Queer Street ...

Queer Street – a condition of financial instability or embarrassment [but see below]Where does the phrase come from? Some say a London street, site of the bankruptcy court, was informally called Queer Street, 'queer' being slang for 'in financial straits'. Others say that traders, in their books, would put a query (?) against the names of customers with suspected financial problems.

In boxing "queer street" is slang for "stumbling and groggy from a blow to the head'. It is often used to refer to the gay community, as in the recent book The Rise and Fall of an American Culture, by James McCourt.
September 30, 2004, 07:51
wordcrafter
.. on Queer Street , or fall even lower to Tobacco Road ...

Tobacco Road – a squalid poverty-stricken rural area or community
[From the 1932 novel Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell]The term is often used in a different sense, in sports reports, to refer to the collegiate basketball teams from Carolina.
September 30, 2004, 11:42
Caterwauller
I am new here to the board, but I love it! I'm curious about the origins of the sunny side of the street.

I can't find the phrase in Morris Dict of Word and Phrase Origin, nor in The Encyc. of Word and Phrase Origins by Facts on File, as well as a few other things, including some quotation sources.

Was the Great Satchmo (Louis Armstrong) the first to use the phrase? The lyrics were by Dorothy Fields, music by Jimmy McHugh . . .

Grab your coat and get your hat
Leave your worries on the doorstep
Life can be so sweet
On the sunny side of the street

Can't you hear the pitter-pat
And that happy tune is your step
Life can be complete

I used to walk in the shade with my blues on parade
But I'm not afraid...this rover?s crossed over

If I never had a cent
I'd be rich as Rockefeller
Gold dust at my feet

(instrumental break)

I used to walk in the shade with them blues on parade
Now I'm not afraid... this rover has crossed over

Now if I never made one cent
I'll still be rich as Rockefeller
There will be goldust at my feet
On the sunny
On the sunny, sunny side of the street

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
October 01, 2004, 06:17
wordcrafter
... to Tobacco Road, or even to the depths of skid row. ...

skid row – a squalid city district, inhabited by derelicts, alcoholics. addicts and the homeless
October 01, 2004, 19:56
tinman
In the early 1850s, Henry Yesler built a sawmill on Puget Sound in Seattle in what is now called Pioneer Square. Mill Street (now Yesler Way) was a log road that ran from his sawmill up to the logging camps. The road was lined with planks or timbers called "skids," and logs were hauled or "skidded" down this road. Consequently, it became known as "Skid Road." As you might imagine, loggers were not the cream of society, and the area along the skid road became lined with establishments that catered to their tastes; that is, bars, brothels, and flophouses. By 1930, according to The Word Detective, "skid road" had become "skid row," and was applied to any run-down area.

Word Origins disagrees with the claim that the original skid road was in Seattle, and says the "earliest known use of skid road is from the Adirondack region of New York".

Ask Yahoo has links to these sources, plus a couple others.

Tinman
October 02, 2004, 06:24
wordcrafter
... skid row. Isn't it better to to be an ordinary fellow on Main Street, ...

Main Street – typical, average Americans, taken as a group [see first two quotes]; sometimes limited to those typical of rural and small-town America [see last three quotes]

[Note: Dictionaries also give a meaning of "parochial, conservative, smugly-complacent mediocrity," sometimes as the primary definition or even the sole definition. But that negative sense (spread by Sinclair Lewis's 1920 novel Main Street) seems to be rather infrequent in actual usage.
October 03, 2004, 08:47
wordcrafter
... on Main Street, or on a suburban Acacia Avenue?

Acacia AvenueBrit; facetious: any middle-class suburban street.So to put it all together:
If you strive to move up from Easy Street, you might even reach Park Avenue. But with things go ill you may find yourself on Queer Street, or fall even lower to Tobacco Road, or even to the depths of skid row. Isn't it better to be an ordinary fellow on Main Street, or on a suburban Acacia Avenue?
October 03, 2004, 09:43
BobHale
One of my early limericks for the OEDILF was for Acacia Avenue if anyone wants to take a look.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
October 03, 2004, 13:00
Caterwauller
Makes me wonder how many place names are actually tree names. The area of town I work in is called "Linden" due to all of the Linden trees planted there by the German immigrants. When we were buying trees to landscape I purposefully researched for a suitable strain of the Lindens to help re-grow our namesake folliage.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
October 03, 2004, 13:25
Richard English
Interesting you never mentioned Clink Street. Or the expression therefrom derived, "...He's in the Clink..."

Richard English
October 03, 2004, 15:21
jerry thomas
King Of The Road
October 03, 2004, 18:43
tinman
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
Makes me wonder how many place names are actually tree names.

acacia, alder, azalea, apricot, ash, aspen, beech, birch, cherry, cedar, chestnut, dogwood, Douglas fir, elder, elderberry, elm, fir, hemlock, hickory, holly, horsechestnut, Ilex, ironwood, larch, laurel, leatherwood, lime, locust, madrona, madrone, magnolia, maple, oak, orange, pawpaw, peach, pear, pine, quince, redbud, redwood, rhododendron, rosewood, sandalwood, sassafras, sequoia, spruce, sumac, sycamore, tamarack, viburnum, Walnut, willow, yew, zebrawood

That's all I can think of at the moment. I can't think of any that begin with j, k, u,or x. The list gets longer if you expand it to include shrub and other plant names. Here's an article titled History of Street Names and Street Naming in North America .

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,