Wordcraft Community Home Page
From recent newspapers

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/5710088996

March 07, 2021, 20:24
wordcrafter
From recent newspapers
nomenklatura (from the former Soviet Union) a list of influential posts in government and industry to be filled by Communist Party appointees
(Latin nomenclatura, = nomen ‘name’ + clatura ‘calling, summoning’ [calare ‘to call’])

March 08, 2021, 04:46
Geoff
We have the same word in English, although we use it slightly differently. Indeed, Russian and English share many words, such as "taxi," "jacket," and "soup."
March 08, 2021, 19:19
wordcrafter
acerbic - sharply or bitingly critical, sarcastic, or ironic in temper, mood, or tone
March 10, 2021, 20:36
Kalleh
I've always liked the word "acerbic." It sounds like its meaning.
March 11, 2021, 06:21
Geoff
"Acerbic" isn't onomatopoeia, but it does sound like it. Is there a term for such words?

It also makes me think of a quality of Acer computers. Roll Eyes
March 27, 2021, 12:42
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
nomenklatura (from the former Soviet Union) a list of influential posts in government and industry to be filled by Communist Party appointees
Had to chime in a p.s. on this one. I never knew this word, but am now encountering it regularly in a Span Lit class I'm doing by zoom with a friend. In Spanish, just as in English, the version spelled with 'c' (nomenclatura en espanol) means just what it looks like, but spelled with 'k' refers to the elite of the USSR bureaucracy. We're reading "The Man Who Loved Dogs" by Padura in the original Spanish, about Trotsky, the man who assassinated him, and a Cuban who wrote about them-- 3 different generations of Communists.
May 24, 2021, 04:49
Geoff
Interesting. Thanks, B35!