Wordcraft Community Home Page
Eyesight, used figuratively

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/6741040381

April 12, 2005, 22:47
wordcrafter
Eyesight, used figuratively
It is commonplace, almost automatic, to use 'seeing' as a metaphor. "Yes, I see," means, "I understand," and some people are are insightful while others are visionary. But some people 'can't see the forest for the trees,' and some things 'aren't worth a second look'.

This week we present sight terms with potential use as metaphor.

lyncean – pertaining to or like a lynx; keen-sighted.
April 14, 2005, 07:30
wordcrafter
purblind1. partially sighted. 2. lacking in discernment or understanding.
[originally meant 'completely blind', from 'pure' + 'blind']
April 14, 2005, 12:58
jerry thomas
"I see," said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
April 14, 2005, 21:47
wordcrafter
Today's quotes struck me as especially enjoyable, so do forgive me for going on at length.

strabismus
1. improper alignment of the eyes (e.g., cross-eye, lazy eye, etc.)
2. fig; rare: perversity of intellectual perception
[from Gk. strabizein ‘to squint’]
April 15, 2005, 22:02
wordcrafter
inveigle – to win over a person by deceitful coaxing, flattery, cajolery
This is a 'vision' word, for the root sense is 'to blind' the victim's judgment. From F. or M.Fr. aveugler 'to make blind', or some form of that term. This in turn is from late L. aboculus, from = ab without + occulus eye.

You may recognize one of our sample quotes, used last week for another word.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
April 16, 2005, 22:32
wordcrafter
We know the term tunnel vision - 1. inability to clearly perceive things unless they are close to the center of the field of view. 2. informal the tendency to focus exclusively on a limited view.The counterpart would be a 'blind spot', the medical term for which is scotoma – an area of diminished vision within the visual field; a literal "blind spot". [Greek skotoma, from skotos darkness]

We previously noted that 'scotoma' would be suitable for figurative use. I can now such figurative use by Oliver Sacks, author of The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat. Sacks's usage appears in a collection which states its theme thus: "Scientists and historians can cite many cases of scientific and technological claims, hypotheses, and proposals that, viewed in retrospect, have apparently taken an unaccountably long time to be recognized."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
April 18, 2005, 06:41
wordcrafter
myopic – nearsighted; unable to see distant objects clearly; also fig.: lacking foresight; shortsighted

There is of course a counterpart medical term meaning farsighted: hyperopic. I find it interesting that we do not use that term figuratively. Our figurative has adopted only the negative term, not the praiseworthy one.
April 18, 2005, 18:23
neveu
quote:
There is of course a counterpart medical term meaning farsighted: hyperopic. I find it interesting that we do not use that term figuratively. Our figurative has adopted only the negative term, not the praiseworthy one.

Probably because there is nothing advantageous to being hyperopic. Normal human vision can focus on objects at optical infinity (e.g. stars). Hyperopic individuals may have a far point beyond optical infinity but because there is nothing out there it isn't helpful. Metaphorically, a hyperopic politician would be one who thinks he sees the big picture but can't read a newspaper.
April 20, 2005, 20:00
Kalleh
Regarding lyncean, it seems that Galileo was a member of the Academy of Lynxes, so named because the lynx is known for its keen eyesight.
April 22, 2005, 21:10
Kalleh
Now I am not sure about the name of the Lyncean Academy. This site says that it was named from Lynceus, the argonaut of Greek mythology who was renowned for his sharpness of sight. That's 2 disagreeing sites. Has anyone heard of this Lyncean Academy? Any thoughts on which of these sites is correct?