Wordcraft Community Home Page
Words I learned within the last week

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/7740094496

June 16, 2019, 20:34
wordcrafter
Words I learned within the last week
This theme is a personal challenge for me. To make it work, I’ll have to come up with a few brand new words in the next few days. Wish me luck!

sillage - the “wake” or “trail” of a perfume’s scent. Does it spread quickly or slowly, a long way or a short one, strongly or weakly? Does it linger in the air after its wearer has left the room?
(The ll is pronounced like a consonant y.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
June 17, 2019, 04:35
Geoff
As opposed to the aroma of silage, I suppose.
June 17, 2019, 05:22
BobHale
I'll hold fire on my "You Are Not So Smart" posts for a while now that the real boss is back. Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 17, 2019, 21:05
wordcrafter
Hi, Bob. Feel free to fire away!

I learned today’s word from a video about the most populous bird in all history, by far: gallus gallus domesticus — otherwise called the chicken.

alectryomancy - divination using a rooster (a cock). Arrange the letters of the alphabet in a circle, put grain on each letter, place a cock in the center of the circle, and record the order of the letters he picks … pardon me, pecks. An Etruscan practice, adopted by the Romans.
June 18, 2019, 08:19
haberdasher
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:alectryomancy - divination using a rooster (a cock). Arrange the letters of the alphabet in a circle, put grain on each letter, place a cock in the center of the circle, and record the order of the letters he picks … pardon me, pecks. An Etruscan practice, adopted by the Romans.
I parse that word as a- meaning without, lect- meaning read, tryo- (ryo?) presumably meaning rooster, and -mancy, divination. That comes out to be "predicting the future by a rooster, who can't read"?
June 18, 2019, 17:39
BobHale
I think we could use a variation on that to choose our respective country's leaders. Couldn't be any worse than our current systems.

Great new set of words.

June 18, 2019, 20:01
Kalleh
Geoff, I was thinking of "silage" too, having grown up on a farm and all.
June 18, 2019, 21:27
wordcrafter
FOMO - fear of missing out
A great stock-market word, currently in heavy use about the rush to invest in Bitcoin. Other very-recent examples:

June 19, 2019, 05:49
shufitz
Orbiginally posted by haberdasher:
quote:
I parse that word as a- meaning without, lest meanibbng read, tryo- (ryo?) presumably meaning rooster, and -mancy, divination. That comes out to be "predicting the future by a rooster, who can't read"?
Then does the name “Alexander” mean a man who can’t read?
Or a man of few words?
Or perhaps a man above the law?

I like it! Wink
June 19, 2019, 20:47
wordcrafter
Naturally, I looked up Bequia on GoogleEarth. Just offshore from it, I learned, is a tiny island which “is uninhabited, but is used by whalers to flense their catches”. “flense”?

flense - to strip the skin or fat off a carcass, especially that of a whale

This might strike you as a useless word. But consider its figurative potential.
June 19, 2019, 20:59
BobHale
Not quite sure how, but for once you came up with a word that I already knew. Big Grin

June 20, 2019, 21:05
wordcrafter
You may be getting in on the ground floor here. Our quotation today is from a very interesting article in yesterday’s Wall Street Journal. I highly recommend it to you. Perhaps the word has been bandied about in the relevant scientific community, but as best I can tell, this quote is the first time it has been used in public print.
(I reordered the quotation a bit, to make this excerpt more clear.)

June 23, 2019, 14:43
wordcrafter
footling - trivial and irritating
(Used in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, but rare in the US.)

I almost always find my quotes on my own, but this one, stolen from OED, is too good to pass up. “We had to cancel a seven-week trip to New Zealand at the last moment when my wife became ill,” the author explains, and you completely understand how he felt about his £18,000 travel-insurance claim.
June 24, 2019, 19:57
Kalleh
Love the quote! Big Grin
July 02, 2019, 07:12
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
Naturally, I looked up Bequia on GoogleEarth.
This brought back fond memories. A visit to that island (BECK-wee) was part of a long-ago family trip. Our parents bought us hand-sewn garments made from locally-woven cloth. Mine was a 'dress' w/a '69-length hem I'd wear as a shirt today Big Grin. Each had a tag sewn in back of neck "Crabhole, Becquia." In a small-world postscript, 4 yrs later when my brother was traveling in India, he met a local wearing a shirt with the same tag.