Wordcraft Community Home Page
Words better known as negatives

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/8471031745

June 28, 2008, 21:18
wordcrafter
Words better known as negatives
A bit from Comedy Central of last March (ellipses omitted) inspires our theme (you can see video or transcript).Quite a few terms are much more familiar in their negative form (unprecedented; un-heard of) than in their positive form (precedented; heard of). We’ll look at some of them this week.

For example, we all know inexorable (impossible to prevent, or impossible to persuade) and inevitable (certain to happen; unavoidable), but not their positive forms:

exorable – capable of being moved by entreaty
evitable – avoidableSidenote: The above quote is of course wordplaying. Now evitable is sometimes used “straight”, without wordplay,¹ but not so with exorable, as far as i can find in recent use. When exorable appears, it is usually a mistake, where the author has substituted exorable for inexorable, or for execrable – extremely bad or unpleasant.

¹ The industrialization -- and dehumanization -- of American animal farming is a relatively new, evitable and local phenomenon: no other country raises and slaughters its food animals quite as intensively or as brutally as we do. – New York Times, Nov. 10, 2002

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
June 29, 2008, 18:30
wordcrafter
We're familiar with the word invincible.

vincible – capable of being overcome or defeated
[from the same root as Julius Caesar’s veni, vidi, vici: “I came, I saw, I conquered."]Nice quote.
June 30, 2008, 19:25
wordcrafter
We aren’t limited to words that use the in- prefix to form the negative. For example, regardless has a positive counterpart.

regardful – mindful of; heedful (word has a sense of respect and deference)
June 30, 2008, 23:57
Valentine
I just read:

"The man was without something and pity--would it be ruth? I know it begins with r--and would simply have given me the horse's laugh."

in Jeeves and the Tie That Binds.

I'm sure that Wodehouse was not the first to do this. But who was? Runyon or Twain or does it go much further back?
July 01, 2008, 19:50
wordcrafter
incorrigible – not reformable (with the sense of depraved; delinquent; unmanageable; unruly¹)
corrigible – capable of being corrected, reformed, or improved
[from the same root as correct]
¹ By the way, unruly also fits our theme: ruly, the positive form, is a perfectly legitimate word, though a rare one. Oddly, AHD and OED conflict on that word. AHD says that ruly was simply created from unruly, but OED says the opposite, and dates ruly back to 1400.
July 02, 2008, 15:03
wordcrafter
maculate – stained; impure (less commonly, spotted or blotched)

[from Latin macula, spot. The negative form is immaculate1. perfectly clean, neat, or tidy 2. free from flaw or mistake 3. pure; unstained; without sin]

July 02, 2008, 22:29
tinman
So, immaculate conception is negative and maculate conception is positive?

Maculate is used quite commonly in botany to mean spotted or blotched. The specific epithet, maculata, is used in scientific binomials.
July 03, 2008, 05:16
zmježd
I usually get maculate reception on my car radio.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 03, 2008, 05:21
shufitz
quote:
immaculate conception is negative?
Let he who is immaculate cast the first stone. Wink
July 03, 2008, 08:00
wordcrafter
gain is an obsolete word meaning “straight; direct”, as in roads. It survives in the negative term ungainly – clumsy; awkward.

(As in the first lines of The Dachshund, by Edward Anthony:Once in a while you’ll find the positive form:

gainly – graceful, tactful (of conduct); or: graceful, shapely (of bodily form or movement)

Interestingly, gainly is mostly used in an assertion that something is not gainly. But not always (last quote).
July 03, 2008, 08:25
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
gain is an OBSOLETE word meaning “straight; direct”, as in roads. It survives in the negative term ungainly – clumsy; awkward.

Wanna bet?
It's still in use as a dialect word in my region. I don't use it but my Dad will say things like "Well that's not very gain, is it?"

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 03, 2008, 10:58
BobHale
And the comparative form is also in use - "let's go this way, it's gainer."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 03, 2008, 20:10
Kalleh
Bob, I can only guess that your father is quite the character. I suspect I'd not understand him very well, either. Wink I'd love it if he'd post with us.