Wordcraft Community Home Page
From a story Story Set on December 27 (part 1)

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9520052107

December 27, 2021, 15:34
wordcrafter
From a story Story Set on December 27 (part 1)
Today, two days after Christmas, it seems apt to take our theme from a tale that took place on this same date many years ago. The tale’s first sentence tells us, We’ll find a week’s worth of words in this tale, and follow with a second week on the same theme with a twist.

jollification — lively celebration; merrymaking; festivity; revelry
December 27, 2021, 18:09
BobHale
I love the Sherlock Holmes books... the originals and the many, many, many pastiches by other hands. The Blue Carbuncle is one of my favourite Holmes tales.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
December 28, 2021, 19:34
Kalleh
It sounds like a more archaic word, but it must not be since it was used in 2020. I like it!
December 28, 2021, 21:23
wordcrafter
Here's an archaic one, Kalleh.

Scotch bonnet — a tam o'shanter hat
But nowadays you’ll never see that usage. Instead, Scotch bonnet is the name of a particular kind of very hot pepper, far hotter than a jalapeno, which is shaped somewhat like a tam o'shanter.

In the Blue Carbuncle story, an older gentleman, having lost his proper British hat, has only a Scotch bonnet to wear. He is most pleased when Holmes return his lost hat to him.

December 29, 2021, 16:47
wordcrafter
huff — 1. to blow out loudly; puff 2. to express one's annoyance or offense.
also noun: — a fit of petty annoyance

From Blue Carbuncle: Choosing a live goose, from the gaggle, for Christmas dinner. Bonus words:
skein — a group of geese, in flight
gaggle — a group of geese, on the ground
One is graceful and quiet; the other is clumsy and cacophonous.
December 29, 2021, 17:08
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:

Hmm. Sounds like our opposition leader and our prime minister. In that order. Fill in the US politicians of your choice. Big Grin

December 30, 2021, 04:48
Geoff
quote:

Since when are flying geese quiet? Have you not noticed there's a coxswain goose honking out the strokes as they fly?
December 30, 2021, 20:38
wordcrafter
grizzled — partly gray or streaked with gray My sense is that this term is used only for hair that is streaked with gray due to aging. (That is, you would never refer to a grey-streaked wallpaper pattern as being “grizzled”.) But I can’t find this in any dictionary.

What say you?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
December 30, 2021, 21:37
BobHale
I have a feeling that I may have heard it in other contexts but can't think of any right at the moment.

January 01, 2022, 14:10
wordcrafter
nipper — a child, especially a small boy

January 01, 2022, 23:21
BobHale
I don't know if it's a word that's just not used in the US but Nipper is an extremely common word over in the UK.

January 02, 2022, 16:16
wordcrafter
disjecta membra — scattered remains

From Stabroek News, January 23, 2011, discussing the poem Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
January 03, 2022, 06:21
Geoff
Nipper was once common in the USA, but I've not heard it for half a century. But, being odd, when I saw the word posted here, I thought not of a child but a car: https://www.google.com/search?...536&bih=775&dpr=1.25
January 09, 2022, 08:08
bethree5
Thank you for “grizzled”, wordcrafter! I see all these years I’ve been mentally adding in that messy crinkled curl so often seen in untrimmed beards. Had I ever noticed the word root-- ‘gris’ is gray in both French and Spanish [which turn out to be Germanic loan words]— perhaps I wouldn’t have thrown frizz in there.
January 09, 2022, 08:27
bethree5
Loving this trip down memory lane. My mother gave me Doubleday’s 2-vol “The Complete Sherlock Holmes” (1965 printing) for my birthday just before I started college. Often retreated into those warm, familiar pages during study breaks.