Wordcraft Community Home Page
Words stolen from last week’s Wall Street Journal

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9800083896

September 06, 2020, 20:13
wordcrafter
Words stolen from last week’s Wall Street Journal
Rumor has it that tsuwm, after long hiatus, has restarted his marvelous word-of-the-day. Clearly this is a challenge to me to do the same for mine. Though I can’t hope to meet his standard, I joyously take up the gauntlet. Welcome back, old friend!

mordant — (especially of humor) sharp or critical; caustic; biting
also noun: (when dyeing cloth, etc.) an additive to “fix” the dye; that is, to keep it from running or bleeding out

Bonus word:
fraught — causing or characterized by emotional distress or tension
[fraught with — filled with a specified element, as fraught with danger]
[from the sense of "laden" (as a ship); cognate with freight]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
September 06, 2020, 20:16
Kalleh
Great to see you again, Wordcrafter!
September 07, 2020, 06:36
Geoff
I second that! Keep it up!
September 07, 2020, 18:19
wordcrafter
Thanks for the encouragement!
(And Geoff, I got the reference.)

sans culotte — (usually disparaging) an extreme radical or revolutionary

September 08, 2020, 15:52
wordcrafter
garrulous – talkative – usually in a negative sense of being long and rambling, wordy, or trivial; and tedious, tiresome and annoying
September 10, 2020, 19:34
wordcrafter
saltire – (accent on first syllable) an X-shaped cross (especially white on a blue background, as a national emblem of Scotland)(random fact: Jamaica’s flag is the only national flag with no red, no white, and no blue. Very good-looking.)
Sometimes a picture makes the word memorable.

September 17, 2020, 15:19
bethree5
Hi, wordcrafter! How great to hear from you!

This is a brand-new word for me. I looked it up & found it's based on the "St Andrew's cross;" he was crucified on a diagonal cross. But the etymology seems unconnected: word comes from Latin "saltare" to dance, Old French "saultoir" stirrup cord, stile [?], thence to Middle English. Etymonline.com suggests, "The connection between a stirrup and the diagonal cross is perhaps the two deltoid shapes that comprise the cross."