Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Book Club?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book Club? Login/Join

posted
Can we start a book club? Would any of you want to do so?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Oh, would that it were possible.

I am currently in XiAn which is a pretty large city. It has only one bookshop with any English books at all. Last time I was in the selection was.

1. Various books for children based on Disney animations . (Approximately ten, which, coincidentally, is also approximately the number of words in each one.)
2. Four volumes of the collected lyrics of Bob Dylan.
3. A boxed set of Harry Potter
4. The Casual Vacancy... also by JK Rowling.
5. About half a shelf of dual language (English and Chinese) classics such as The Pickwick Papers or Robinson Crusoe.

I bought The Casual Vacancy and it was OK, though not great.

And that is a bookshop occupying five floors of a major mall in a major city. Where I live, in Xianyang, I have only ever found a single copy of "How To Win Friends And Influence People" and a single dual language copy of Benjamin Button neither of which proved to be worth the price.

(And I find that if I try to read on electronic devices I have an attention span of about five minutes.)

Posts: 8350 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried using audio books, Bob? For several reasons, I listen to audio books all the time. I rarely use print, either electronic or printed.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I like full cast dramatisations but I haven't the patience for audio books. I read at more than three times the speed that they are read at and sitting through seven hours of a three hundred page book that I would finish in two if reading drives me crazy.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And I inevitably fall asleep while listening and spend more time trying to find the last bit I remember hearing than actually listening to the book.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I would like to start one. I think we've talked about it before, actually.

Posts: 24080 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I read at more than three times the speed that they are read
Oh, how I envy you! I read at about 1/3 average speed.

Posts: 5074 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I got my Anne Tyler book in the mail today! Am savoring it. I truly love her writing. (Watch, this one will be a dud.)

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I would be willing to give it a try in September, saatva. I 'have to' read 1/mo for my longtime bookclub, & I sneak Fr-lang & Sp-lang books around that, but can keep those on back burner while reading another for our discussion. I see you (& others here) read very different books than I would choose, so I would look forward to the mind-stretching.

Posts: 2300 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not start in September as Bethree suggests? We could go alphabetically by name by all that want to participate that time. For instance, if five of us were participating, the person who's online name came first could choose that month's book. Then, we would go sequentially, Arnie, Bethree, Bob (if he could participate), etc.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't think arnie would be able to, but we can ask. He has been ill. Let's find out who is interested. September sounds good to me. When we tried this before, I think we did it as a chat. There is a chat feature here on WC, and we could use it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well as the possibilties of me getting the books would be nil... I don't suppose it would matter that I can't use the chatroom.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What about getting the books online? Is that possible?