Wordcraft Community Home Page
"noob"

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/1021000114

November 27, 2006, 15:42
Hic et ubique
"noob"
I've heard of newbie, but has anyone ever heard of a noob, the term being an insult?
November 27, 2006, 15:47
zmježd
I've seen it usually spelled newb or n00b.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
November 27, 2006, 17:58
Seanahan
Newbie is typically used as an insult. n00b is pretty common in 1337 or "leet"(from "elite") speak, probably going back at least a decade. There is a tendency in leet speak to insult everyone who isn't "leet". People who are newbies are especially scorned, and the leet speak for newbie is "n00b". This is probably how it acquired the insulting connotation you've heard.

Recently, in some games, like WoW(World of Warcraft), the term has been further shortened to "nub", and pronounced as such.
November 29, 2006, 08:36
wordmatic
Is leet speak where the term "my peeps" meaning "my friends" (short for "my people," I guess) comes from? I first heard this term a couple of months ago from a younger friend, a woman in her '30s, and last week, from my younger son, who is 29.

WM
November 29, 2006, 09:08
zmježd
I'm not sure. I always assumed my peeps was from AAVE (African-American Vernacular English).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
November 29, 2006, 09:53
shufitz
I'd thought so too, zmj. However, OED's etymology gives no indication. Its first two quotes don't seem to be AAVE, but they clearly antedate netspeak.
November 29, 2006, 17:07
Seanahan
Peeps is definitely not from leet speak. Most of the terms in leet speek have letters replaced by numbers. For example, "owned" becomes "0wn3d", and later became "pwned", which led to the phrase "you just got powned".
November 30, 2006, 14:07
Seanahan
After some further thought, "peeps" doesn't seem to fit in with any AAVE that I've heard. The term from some time ago would have been "homeys", or something similar, although this may be out dated at this point.
November 30, 2006, 14:27
neveu
Homey is an old word. I spotted it in Louis Armstrong's memoir about growing up in New Orleans.

In re: peeps, Onion columnist Herbert Kornfeld uses it all the time, e.g. If all y'all daycarin' peeps spot some officin'-lookin' homiez kickin' back an' drinkin' wine coolahz on yo' property, don't call tha 5-0. That jus' mah posse.
November 30, 2006, 21:10
Kalleh
We used to have a disk jockey (on a sports station) named "Jeromey the Homey" here in Chicago.

What exactly does homey mean? They stay home a lot?
November 30, 2006, 21:36
neveu
I think it originally meant someone from your hometown or neighborhood, perhaps a contraction of hometown boy. Armstrong's usage was along the lines of "we were playing in Philadelphia when I ran into my homeboy Kid Orrey". The further contraction to "homey" may be more recent.
December 01, 2006, 04:20
wordmatic
I read an article or two from the Onion online occasionally, but I never read Kornfeld. He does refer to the homeys in that sentence later as "homeboys:"

quote:
The homeboys got they asses outta there befoe they could be busted foe vagrancy,

Was really surprised to see anybody writing in what we used to call Negro dialect in these enlightened times, even in a hilariously outrageous humor publication. Seems like sort of an ignorant rich-boy thing to do...
December 01, 2006, 06:50
goofy
I hear the word "peeps" a lot in rap music, fwiw.
December 01, 2006, 07:05
zmježd
Homey

Perhaps homey is from Polari omi 'man' from Italian uomo. For those who've never heard of it, there's a nice only vocabulary of Polari here.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 01, 2006, 08:31
neveu
quote:
Was really surprised to see anybody writing in what we used to call Negro dialect in these enlightened times, even in a hilariously outrageous humor publication. Seems like sort of an ignorant rich-boy thing to do...

I think the target of ridicule are the nerdy white guys who try to talk like gangstas.
December 01, 2006, 09:08
dalehileman
Under "all" enter noob. Under "at least one" enter

intitle:slang intitle:vernacular intitle:colloquialisms intitle:idioms intitleRazzatois intitle:argot intitle:metaphors

The latter entry will create a dropdownwhich will make it unnecessary to copy or retype all that next time you need it
December 01, 2006, 11:14
zmježd
Huh?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 01, 2006, 11:15
arnie
quote:
Under "all" enter noob. Under "at least one" enter ...
Presumably these are fields in some web form or other. Care to share where it might be found?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
December 01, 2006, 20:44
Kalleh
I am likewise in the dark, Dale.

zmj, I hadn't heard of Polari. That vocabulary was interesting!