Wordcraft Community Home Page
Gluckschmerz

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/1190082876

June 14, 2015, 09:26
Kalleh
Gluckschmerz
Here is a fun article about the word with the opposite meaning of Schadenfreude - gluckschmerz. That is, it means to take pain in someone else's pleasure. While it is gaining popularity (as discussed in the article), as Goofy, I am sure, will say - it really isn't a word. Which brings us back to when is a word a word. For example, they brought up "selfie." That's a word now? Or "vape," which I hadn't actually heard of.
June 14, 2015, 11:22
goofy
Glück "luck" is cognate with English luck and Schmerz "pain" is cognate with English smart "to cause mental pain or anguish; to be hurtful".
June 14, 2015, 15:56
goofy
And Schade is cognate with scathe, and Freude is cognate with friend.
June 17, 2015, 01:31
Kalleh
So - why is Gluckschmerz not a word, but Schadenfreude is then? They were developed similarly. Here is a Blog article about it. Interestingly, it mentions that epicaricacy is the English word for Schadenfreude.
August 18, 2015, 16:08
goofy
It's a word if people use it as a word. Apparently it's been used in English for 30 years. It's not used in German.
August 22, 2015, 21:39
Kalleh
We've been talking about what is a word almost since the inception of this board. This 2004 thread has what Aput (a UK linguist who was excellent) said is a "...a very, very sensible essay and I agree wholeheartedly with how it makes all those distinctions. That's the perfect linguistic treatment of the subject." It was posted by Bob. However, unfortunately after all this time the stupid link doesn't work. Mad Bob, I am assuming you don't remember the name of the essay?
August 23, 2015, 03:28
BobHale
Sorry, I can't even remember where it was from.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
August 23, 2015, 05:00
arnie
The article was a pdf on the University of Sussex site, entitled "What is a word?". Unfortunately they appear to have taken it down as a search of their site (Linguistics and English Language working papers) shows a defunct link which leads to a 'not found' message.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.