Wordcraft Community Home Page
wine is to oenophile as beer is to what?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/1431098384

August 11, 2007, 04:17
zmježd
wine is to oenophile as beer is to what?
It just occurred to me in medias rant in another thread that there's no term like oenophile for 'somebody who enjoys beer'. A few minutes googling led me to this squib. I see the good folks at RealBeer dot com have been pondering this self-same terminological question, too. While, I, too, thought of the neologism Cerevisaphile, I don't much like it, though cerevisa is the Latin for beer. (And what's not to like about Latin?) I guess I'll just have to go with beer-loving as an adjective and beer geek for the noun.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
August 11, 2007, 06:03
wordnerd
hophead?

The term is in actual use.
August 11, 2007, 08:14
zmježd
Thanks, wordnerd. Here's the results of a poll.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
August 11, 2007, 19:15
Kalleh
Well, wordnerd, most dictionaries define it as slang for drug addict, and I like beer too much to consider that word. Besides, when it is linked to beer (as with Wikipedia), it usually is used specifically for those who like hoppy beer, like IPAs.

I thought my Paul Dickson book, Words, which has pages on drinking words, had a word for beer lover, but it doesn't. I rather like Cerevisaphile that Gregg Smith on z's link had come up with.

I post on realbeer.com every so often. They can have some good discussions sometimes.
August 17, 2007, 20:30
<Asa Lovejoy>
NASCAR fan? Roll Eyes