Wordcraft Community Home Page
OED's Unreliability: "Political football"

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/1491028382

December 29, 2005, 17:09
wordnerd
OED's Unreliability: "Political football"
Quite some time ago I noted an OED error here, commenting, "[for] the term 'political football' ... OED gives three cites, all recent (1971, 1975 and 1977), respectively from [3 Commonwealth countries]. ... OED is simply wrong. ... 'political football' appeared in a U.S. political cartoon in Judge magazine during the term of President Harrison, 1889 to 1893. [citation]" I notified OED at the time.

Today, almost three years later, OED still hasn't gotten around to making any change in its on-line edition. It would take them less than 15 minutes to verify my data and incorporate it. I am more than a bit annoyed, and no longer believe that OED is maintains its accuracy, or even makes a serious attempt to maintain it.

For the record, here are two cites taking it back about 35 more years. OED's first cite is well more than a century too late.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordnerd,
December 29, 2005, 17:22
wordnerd
For the record, here is what OED-online has to say about it as of today, unchanged from three years ago:
December 29, 2005, 17:29
zmježd
Oh, no. First Wikipedia, and now the OED.And between Watergate and WMD, I can't trust the politicos anymore either. Luckily I have my Merriam-Webster's 10th Collegiate Dictionary in print. When the power grid fails because of Y2K, I'll be sitting pretty, doing the NYT's crossword puzzles online ... no, er, wait ... I'll read it like a neo-novel ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
September 14, 2006, 15:04
wordnerd
For the record, OED has now added my 1857 cite, as well as an 1848 cite from the Times.
September 14, 2006, 20:41
Kalleh
Wordnerd, did you have anything to do with the addition? If so, good for you! Smile