Wordcraft Community Home Page
Extra syllables

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/151109785

June 29, 2004, 22:38
wordnerd
Extra syllables
q: [Someone said] "... Granted, 'resembling' is a four-syllable word ..." This site sure makes it sound like three.
CJ: Yes, you're correct. There's probably a term for inserting a syllable incorrectly into a word

OK, oh wise women and men of wordcraft. What is that term?

PS: I've said that that question "niggles my mind." Is it proper to use niggle as a transitive verb rather than as an intransitive one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordnerd,
June 30, 2004, 01:47
aput
Epenthesis is the general term forn insertion of sounds. But in the case of tetrasyllabic 'resembling', it's not insertion but a different regularity. What most speakers have is a rule that de-syllabifies a syllabic L before -ing.

So nigg-le -> nigg-ling, re-sem-ble -> re-sem-bling. Failure to apply this rule gives the more superficially regular form re-sem-bl-ing.

> Is it proper

Do you say it? If you do it's proper for you. That's all there is to it.
June 30, 2004, 09:42
jo
Would it then be proper to call the insertion of the "u" (I don't remember the phonetic symbols anymore Eek) into the word nuclear -- new cue lear a epenthesis? Rather than a failure to de-syllabify?
June 30, 2004, 13:15
Kalleh
Epenthesis is the general term forn insertion of sounds. But in the case of tetrasyllabic 'resembling', it's not insertion but a different regularity. What most speakers have is a rule that de-syllabifies a syllabic L before -ing.
Oh, aput, you are always here for us! We do appreciate your erudite posts.

We had this discussion a while ago when I posted a double dactyl with "world." I considered it 2 syllables, but the Brits and the dictionary disagreed with me.

Oh, and Jo, we also discussed "new..cue..lear." We unanimously agreed that it isn't correct, though people do say it.