Wordcraft Community Home Page
Hebrew help!

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/171604857

August 05, 2002, 22:49
<Asa Lovejoy>
Hebrew help!
Yeah, yeah, this supposed to be an English language site, BUT... I had a conversation last night with someone who asserted that the Hebrew derivation of the name, "Adam," comes from a feminine root word meaning "Earth," thus suggesting a pre-patriarchal "Mother Earth" connection to the Hebrew creation story. Can any of you confirm or deny this?

Asa, needing a guide to the perplexed
August 06, 2002, 01:59
arnie
I found this site: http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Hebrew/

They say that Adam (in the sense of the first man)comes from 'adam, which means to be red, or ruddy.

There is another proper name, 'Adamah, a city in Naphtali. That apparently comes from 'adamah which is indeed a feminine noun that means "ground", "land" and by extension, the whole earth.

Hope this helps.
August 06, 2002, 17:41
wildflowerchild
and i don't have to look up nuthin'.

i've had plenty of hebrew help myself.⁄ winkbut it always turns out the same way. the family doesn't want a shikseh amongst 'em.
August 07, 2002, 07:02
<Asa Lovejoy>
"it always turns out the same way. the family doesn't want a shikseh amongst 'em."

Well, remember that an oyster is someone fond of spouting Yiddish expressions! wink Now I'll go clam up.
August 07, 2002, 07:32
Kalleh
Yes, wildflowerchild, I can also confirm that, as I was once a Shikseh myself. I wonder if the "Shikseh bashing" has something to do with the fact that only if the mother is Jewish will the children be considered Jewish. roll eyes
December 19, 2005, 18:15
shufitz
Reviving antiquity:
quote:
Well, remember that an oyster is someone fond of spouting Yiddish expressions!
You may be thinking of an oytser, Smile which is often used in the second, ironic sense:
December 20, 2005, 07:47
zmježd
Yiddish oytser, besides meaning treasure, also means thesaurus, which is the Greek for treasure. (I have Nahum Stutshkoff's oytser fun der yidisher shprakh.) It is from Hebrew 'otser 'supply; grainery, treasure; treasury' of unknown etymology. Yiddish shikse (pejorative) 'non-Jewish woman' is interesting because it is the feminine form of shegets (pejorative) 'non-Jewish (young) man' which is from Hebrew sheqets 'abomination; ritually unclean'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 20, 2005, 09:33
wordnerd
quote: Yiddish oytser, besides meaning treasure, also means thesaurus

Really!? Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue says,
December 20, 2005, 17:20
zmježd
quote:
Charlton Laird has noted: [,,,] “Most speakers of other languages are not aware that such books exist." [The Miracle of Language, page 54]

Well, I can't speak for the other 6 thousand plus languages in the world, but Yiddish has a thesaurus, which was published by YIVO in the '50s. I have a copy and I've used it. It's pretty much like Roget's or any of the other thesauruses I've used in English. I have seen a thesaurus for German, called I believe a Synonymwoerterbuch, published by Dudens, and which is still in print. In spite of what Mr Laird has written and Mr Bryson has repeated, I'd find it hard to believe that there are not thesauruses for most of the European languages. Arabic also seems a likely candidate.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 20, 2005, 18:39
wordnerd
Pardon me for being unclear, zmj. There can't be any doubt that you are right, as you have the thesaurus in your hands. I wasn't disagreeing with you; I was noting Bryson's error.

[wordnerd, having a greater respect for facts than for authorities]
January 21, 2006, 22:23
Judah
The source of Adam's name is not explicit in the Bible, but it indeed does presumably derive from the word 'adamah', of which Arnie gives an accurate translation. The Bible says that God created Adam of dirt from the 'adamah'. There is no reference that I know of that connects Adam with ruddiness.

There was someone else, though, whose name did derive from the word for red: Edom, which is another name for Esau. The Hebrew word for red is Adom, by the way.

Hmmm, I see I'm a couple years late with this.
January 22, 2006, 09:38
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:

Hmmm, I see I'm a couple years late with this.

Not TOO late! Thanks for the good information! Good to have you here at the asylum! Big Grin