Wordcraft Community Home Page
"Porphyria" and colors

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/1891092755

September 01, 2008, 09:55
shufitz
"Porphyria" and colors
A doctor discussing the disease porphyria on TV mentioned that the name comes from the Greek word for "purple", because it sometimes has the effect of giving a purple coloration to bodily fluids, particularly to urine.

Oddly, the dictionaries seem to miss this. OED's etymology 'porpyria' traces it to the German name; AHD's to the New Latin name. But neither goes back farther to the Greek or mentions the 'purple' aspect.

Also: This word, with a non-obvious color-connnection, suggested to me a possible theme of "Words with hidden color-connections". But I had zip success when seeking more such words by a quick OED search for terms with 'purple' or 'blue' or 'green' in the etymologies. Only useless hits turned up.

Can anyone suggest others?
September 01, 2008, 11:13
arnie
The word describe a condition caused by an abnormality of the porphyrins in the blood. The AHD entry for porphyrin gives the Greek etymology.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 01, 2008, 11:27
<Proofreader>
quote:
the effect of giving a purple coloration to bodily fluids, particularly to urine.

I mock all you blue-bloods, you see,
For you can’t compare now with me.
Because my porphyrin
Is staining my urine
And I now propagate purple pee.
September 01, 2008, 13:53
<Asa Lovejoy>
Blue-bloods? Hmmmm... You may have gotten into something, there. The classical composer Alexander Borodin's father was Count Porphyry, so indeed a blue-blood! Also, purple is considered a royal color, so maybe you're not pissing up the wrong (family) tree!
September 02, 2008, 10:22
bethree5
Umm, speaking of yellow stuff (?) let's not forget jaundice. According to "Online Etymology" (etymonline.com), the original usage referred to a feeling, rather than to the yellowness of skin due to a liver condition.
c.1303, from O.Fr. jaunisse "yellowness" (12c.), from jaune "yellow," from L. galbinus "greenish yellow," probably from PIE *ghel- "yellow, green" (see Chloe). With intrusive -d- (cf. gender, astound, thunder). Meaning "feeling in which views are colored or distorted" first recorded 1629, from yellow's association with bitterness and envy (see yellow).
September 02, 2008, 20:37
Myth Jellies
gall - yellow

argue - clear/white

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp