Wordcraft Community Home Page
Another apostrophe question

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/2081076721

January 13, 2005, 07:17
wordnerd
Another apostrophe question
In the 6-letters thread it felt awkward to post this: 'Silk-kimonod' certainly seems odd, but what's the alternative?
January 13, 2005, 07:22
<Asa Lovejoy>
I'll guess "B"
January 13, 2005, 08:54
Kalleh
I'd take "b," too. I think the apostrophe would just indicate that it was used instead of a letter. For example, in some limericks where I have only wanted 2 syllables, I have written, "Lim'rick."

I'm no apostrophe expert, though.
January 13, 2005, 09:24
aput
kimonoed does match the pronunciation, by analogy with hoed, toed, goes, potatoes, but that generally only looks right with native words. (Recognizably foreign endings like -ado, -illo, -ino all take -os rather than -oes.)

So the other possibility is kimono'd, which has a good precedent in wretched un-idea'd girls. -- Ah, it was Johnson who said that, so we don't actually have his authority for the written form. But I think this is the most weighty precedent.
January 13, 2005, 10:17
arnie
I'd use kimonoed.

If I were worried, I'd recast the sentence to something like girls in silk kimonos, although obviously that couldn't be done in the Six letters... thread.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 15, 2005, 22:45
tinman
I opt for kimonoed. So do M-W and the OED Online.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,
January 21, 2005, 01:19
Caterwauller
I think this is why I love you guys (I include both genders in this word)! Once the OED has spoken . . . a reverent silence ensues.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
January 21, 2005, 10:54
Richard English
It was nothing to do with the OED. I didn't comments sinces, as I have already suggested, there are no nouns in English that cannot be verbed.

Thus "kimonoed" must be accurate. Of course, whether it is a good word, as opposed simply being an accurate word, is a matter of debate.

Richard English
January 21, 2005, 11:27
jerry thomas
In my humble opinion, the only truly correct version is each silk-kimono-clad maid oscillated sensuously.
January 22, 2005, 07:16
Kalleh
Once the OED has spoken . . . a reverent silence ensues.

Last night as we were talking with CW at dinner, CW said to Shu, "I know why you are friends with me; you just want to be able to access the OED online from my library!"

I thought that pretty funny! Big Grin