Wordcraft Community Home Page
"stave"

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/2121002535

April 25, 2008, 08:28
shufitz
"stave"
Is there any connection between "a stave of a barrel" and "to stave off defeat"?

Yes, I could LIU (Look It Up), but what fun would that be?
April 25, 2008, 11:31
zmježd
Is there any connection between "a stave of a barrel" and "to stave off defeat"?

Yes.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
April 25, 2008, 16:11
shufitz
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
EDIT: and if so, what?

sheesh! Roll Eyes
April 25, 2008, 18:59
Kalleh
I suspect z thinks you should have looked it up.

This probably best explains it.
quote:
"piece of a barrel," 1750, back-formation from staves (1398), plural of staff (cf. leaves/leaf), possibly from O.E., but not recorded there. The verb (to stave in, past tense stove) is c.1595, originally nautical, on notion of bashing in the staves of a cask and letting out the contents; stave off (c.1624) is lit. "keep off with a staff," as of dogs.

April 26, 2008, 06:44
Caterwauller
Well, if we each just looked up our own questions and answers, there wouldn't be a whole lot left to discuss, would there?

So - this sort of means to hit with a stick?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
April 26, 2008, 13:28
arnie
quote:
Well, if we each just looked up our own questions and answers, there wouldn't be a whole lot left to discuss, would there?
So, instead, someone posts a question, and someone else looks up the answer for them.

It might be better (and seem lazier) if someone who had a thought similar to shu's looked up the answer before posting, then we could discuss it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
April 26, 2008, 13:47
jerry thomas
What language did God use when she said, "Let there be light !" ??
April 26, 2008, 15:11
elledee
Thank you, Shu! I love to laugh, and you made me laugh so hard with your hilarious eye-rolling "sheesh" comment. I like the way you posted this question because this way I got to read a fascinating discussion through tears of laughter. Of course, I didn't have to look anything up either...
April 26, 2008, 15:25
Lily
And for my first post, may I agree with elledee.

Even though it is perfectly simple to answer your own question - there'd be no point in a board like this if you could not discuss it, would there? Makes the whole topic more enjoyable.
April 26, 2008, 16:57
<Asa Lovejoy>
If you have the right accent, it's the nickname for someone named Stephen, now isn't it? Razz

Welcome to the asylum, Lily!