Wordcraft Community Home Page
Thespian

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/2231017382

December 29, 2005, 09:30
Kalleh
Thespian
I was workshopping a limerick where the author's note defined "thespian" as "actors (or actresses) who like each other."

I checked OED and all 20 dictionaries listed in Onelook and couldn't find that definition. Does anyone know if that is an accepted definition of "thespian?"
December 29, 2005, 10:35
zmježd
I've always seen it used as a synonym for actor. Maybe they are confusing the term with lesbian.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
December 29, 2005, 10:53
arnie
Either confusing, or trying to make a joke.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
December 29, 2005, 12:11
Kalleh
Oh...heck. I had to admit my ignorance on OEDILF, and I will have to do so here as well. It was apparently a joke that the author had figured everyone would get. In all fairness to me, I had asked the author about that definition in the workshop, and and he had said: "Another definition of 'thespian' is an actor who likes other actors." I believed him and started to search... Red Face

BTW, here is the limerick and author's note:

Will my thespian dream come about?
I don’t know; I’m beginning to doubt.
Tell me, what now will cause it
To burst from the closet?
I guess I should just act it out.

Author's Note: In psychiatry, act out means to put unconscious desires into action. Thespians, as you may know, are actors who like other actors.

~ David Schildkret

Sorry for the post! I suppose we could carry on and talk about the Greek etymology of the word. Wink

As I said on OEDILF, sometimes I shouldn't even bother getting up in the morning...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
January 03, 2006, 16:05
Seanahan
Could it be some sort of "Thesbian" joke? It almost has to be, with the "closet" and "out", but it doesn't really work from a comedic or literary stance, and though I don't really participate in the OEDILF, it doesn't work for me limerickally either.
January 03, 2006, 20:20
Kalleh
You are so right, Sean, now that I read that limerick again. Sometimes I can get mesmerized by all the praising workshoppers, and I am afraid that happened in this case. It has the number of approvals needed and is awaiting confirmation. Oh well! I completely missed the "thespian" joke (if that's what you call it)...so it obviously wasn't up my alley in the first place.