Wordcraft Community Home Page
Save Lots

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/2350040386

May 27, 2016, 05:29
Graham Nice
Save Lots
At my college many of our students take their exams using a word processor. To protect themselves from the computer freezing or power cuts, which might make them lose their work, they are encouraged by me to save their work many times during the course of their exams. One of the ways I do this is by writing the following words on the whiteboard in front of them:
Save lots.

It has recently been changed by somebody objecting to poor grammar to:
Save often.

I don't think I'm wrong; what does everybody else think.
May 27, 2016, 05:47
Geoff
Good to see you here again!

"Lots," in this context, seems colloquial to me, but not incorrect.
May 27, 2016, 08:16
<Proofreader>
i would be a bit more specific
Save your work
I think Save lots sounds like an environmental activist plea.
May 27, 2016, 20:24
Kalleh
Graham, it is so nice to see you back!

For those of us in the U.S., "often" sounds less awkward, I think. However, "lots" may be used to mean "often" in the U.K.? It is defined as an adverb to mean "often," so I think you are right.
May 27, 2016, 21:50
goofy
quote:
1839 F. Trollope in New Monthly Mag. Dec. 486 ‘But tell me, dearest, for pity's sake tell me, did he ever speak of me?’ ‘Lots. He asked more questions, I promise you, than we could answer.’

May 30, 2016, 20:50
Kalleh
I've been thinking about this question. I think of "lots" to mean quantity - a lot. So - if I were to see a sign saying "Save lots," I would say to myself, "Save lots of what?"
May 31, 2016, 01:19
arnie
quote:
if I were to see a sign saying "Save lots," I would say to myself, "Save lots of what?"

It's self-evidently money in that case.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 31, 2016, 10:36
Geoff
A local big box store's slogan is, "Save big money at Menard's." If one saves big money, it's counterfeit. Also, how does one "save' by spending? The advertisers have the public nearly totally fooled.
May 31, 2016, 20:43
Kalleh
Oh, believe me, I get that slogan, Geoff. That may be "female talk." I keep reminding myself of how much money I saved when I bought a lot at Nordstrom's half yearly sale. Wink