Wordcraft Community Home Page
Excelsior

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/257101188

October 11, 2004, 21:41
Kalleh
Excelsior
Excelsior - Do you know what it means? My logophile friend pointed out to me that it means wood shavings used for packing. While one of the definitions in dictionary.com was "more lofty; still higher; ever upward," 3 of the 4 referred to the packing material.

I wonder if Excelsior College in NY knows that!

Now, how in the world was that packing definition derived from the Latin word meaning "elevated" or "lofty"?
October 11, 2004, 22:07
Hic et ubique
There's a florid poem by Longfellow that uses "Excelsior!" as a refrain, much like the "nevermore" in Poe's Raven. There is also a take-off of that poem, but I can't bring any details of it to mind. Help, please.
October 12, 2004, 00:39
neveu
This is the second time in my life I have heard that definition of excelsior. I had the same question.

In the movie The Bad Seed the evil little girl starts a fire that kills the handyman by setting excelsior alight in his room. The word must be used a dozen times in the movie.
October 12, 2004, 03:54
arnie
The Dictionary.com definition of "Slender, curved wood shavings used especially for packing" includes underneath "[Originally a trademark.]" During the 19th century lots of pretty mundane products had rather florid trade names; presumably Excelsior was one.

I would add that I've never heard of "excelsior" used as a generic name for wood shavings; is it perhaps American-only? However, I can't say that I've had much to do with wood shavings, so it may well have passed me by.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 12, 2004, 05:11
Caterwauller
Excelsior!

Stan Lee used to sign off his author's notes this way.

I've always found it amusing that it has 2 such vastly different meanings. Makes me think of those packing peanuts, . . . maybe we should create a new exclamatory phrase PEANUTS!!!!!!!!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
October 12, 2004, 06:09
jheem
I remember packages coming wrapped in excelsior. Not sure if it was a trademark at the time, but it's still available. Search on excelsior packing material. I wasn't really aware, as a child, that it was wood shavings.
October 12, 2004, 18:05
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:

maybe we should create a new exclamatory phrase PEANUTS!!!!!!!!

Good grief, Charlie Brown would be upset!
October 12, 2004, 18:26
Caterwauller
Have you seen those packing peanuts that look like un-cheesy cheesy poofs? If you dip them in a little bit of water, they'll stick together! They're great for crafts with kids. Cheap way to get sculpture material!

~Dalai Lama
October 12, 2004, 20:32
Kalleh
I hadn't heard of this use of "excelsior," and I don't know, arnie, if it is more an American use.

However, as I was reading my book today, guess what word came up? Excelsior! Here is the sentence: "Tumbleweeds of excelsior roved the grounds." They had been unpacking crates, and then there was a big storm. Talk about timing! Wink
October 13, 2004, 06:51
<Asa Lovejoy>
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I hadn't heard of this use of "excelsior," and I don't know, arnie, if it is more an American use.

I was probably five years old when I first heard it. Before petroleum-based plastics, shredded wood was THE high-tech packing material. Why, I sitll have a good deal of it between my ears!
October 13, 2004, 18:52
Caterwauller
I had no idea what the stuff was called until my late 20s when I had to pack something and wanted it to look classier than packing peanuts. :-)

But then, I'm younger than some of you . . . .

~Dalai Lama