Wordcraft Community Home Page
caring

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/263101234

April 26, 2004, 07:14
Oscar
caring
why do Americans say "I could care less that..." when they really mean (as Brits do and say) "I couldn't care less that..."?
April 26, 2004, 08:36
Chris J. Strolin
Sarcasm is as American as baseball and apple pie. It's one of our more endearing traits.
April 26, 2004, 11:16
BobHale
World Wide Words has quite a lengthy article on this subject here.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 26, 2004, 12:14
jerry thomas
When I tried to point out to a friend that his saying, "I could care less" had the exact opposite meaning of what he intended, he then said, "I could care less about your reasoning."

So there!

Oscar, welcome to the community!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,
April 26, 2004, 14:12
Hic et ubique
Oscar, will Felix be joining us too? Meanwhile, my heartiest felixitations. Cool

As to care less, please see the last few words quoted in my post here Wink
April 26, 2004, 16:11
WinterBranch
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
Oscar, will Felix be joining us too? Meanwhile, my heartiest _felixitations._ Cool

<shudder>
Hic, I formally sentence you to the Punitentiery.

Razz
April 26, 2004, 19:36
KHC
WB,
Howdy! Good to see you.. what an odd coupling of words for us.

Welcome, Oscar... also!!

May Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau R.I.P.
April 26, 2004, 21:21
Kalleh
Welcome, Oscar! Smile Big Grin Wink Cool And, another Brit besides!

Now, my opinion on "I could care less" is different from the others expressed here. First, it is a big pet peeve of mine. But, secondly, I think it is because of ignorance. As we have debated occasionally here, I think Americans just aren't as careful with grammar and words as the Brits are (I will exclude jheem from that, though he did live abroad for awhile. Wink). While the Brits may make an apostrophe error (such as the St. Thomas' Hospital), they then discuss why it should be s's or that it's really St. Thomases'....while Americans will say, "Oh, what difference does it make."

It is maddening!