Wordcraft Community Home Page
eponym

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/2711053522

July 26, 2005, 05:53
petergrabs
eponym
what exactly is an eponym? looking at the list it seems to be a phrase generalizing the role or action of a specific person.
so shouldn't this list include "to pull a jack ruby", meaning to assassinate a criminal before he can be tried, like ruby did to oswald?
July 26, 2005, 08:18
arnie
It's a word that comes from a person.

I wouldn't call "to pull a jack ruby" an eponym; more like a metaphor, or, if it's meant literally, an allusion. If "Jack Ruby" came to mean "to assassinate a criminal before he can be tried", as in "Look out, someone will try to Jack Ruby him if the police aren't careful." that might become an eponym.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
August 07, 2005, 20:01
Kalleh
quote:
I wouldn't call "to pull a jack ruby" an eponym; more like a metaphor, or, if it's meant literally, an allusion.

Interesting question, Peter, that I missed. So, Arnie, do eponyms begin as metaphors and allusions and then get to be used so much that they finally become eponyms? Or is there some distinction from the beginning?
August 07, 2005, 23:43
arnie
quote:
So, Arnie, do eponyms begin as metaphors and allusions and then get to be used so much that they finally become eponyms?

I'd say so, yes.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.