Wordcraft Community Home Page
Compl__mentary

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/282105064

May 05, 2004, 10:44
wordnerd
Compl__mentary
This may be a dumb question, but ...

You know how a hotel will place those little chocolates on your pillow, without charge? Or perhaps provide free use of an exercise room or a computer terminal?

Are those services complementary or complimentary?
May 05, 2004, 11:03
arnie
Complimentary is the word you need. It means (in this sense, at least) "free".

Complementary means "completing".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 11, 2004, 08:17
shufitz
From today's comics: go here and, if the site changes daily, go to the June 11 version.

[PS: arnie, how could i just put the image here? I tried the </> function in the edit menu, but didn't get the image; only the small red x.]
June 11, 2004, 17:04
Kalleh
Oh, that's great, Shu! Big Grin
June 15, 2004, 18:09
wordnerd
The two senses of complimentary seem entirely unrelated to me. If the word means both 'free' and 'flattering', how on God's little acre did one meaning evolve from the other -- or how did each evolve from a common ancestor?

And how does complementary fit into this family tree? It's so similar in form to complimentary one can hardly think they are unrelated -- that the similarity is merely coincidence -- and yet its seems to have still an entirely different meaning, unrelated to either sense of complimentary.
June 15, 2004, 23:56
aput
For once the OED doesn't give us a nice graded series of senses. The words appeared in English with essentially the modern meanings. The two spellings are variations of the one word.

A complimentary gift is one given as a compliment. Formerly this would have been something a little more substantial, I would imagine, than a plastic tub of jam in a hotel, the only modern use.
August 24, 2004, 19:54
wordnerd
I found something that may be relevant, in Chapter IX of Emma by Jane Austen.But clearly it was a 'compliment' in the sense we would use the word, so Austen must be using it in another sense. She seems to mean "a polite formality, not to be taken seriously". A later passage, in Chapter XIV, is less clear but to my mind uses the same meaning, with the additional feeling of "a tedious polite formality".
January 03, 2005, 20:26
shufitz
This, found in Tom Jones by Henry Fielding, accords with what wordnerd said about the 'compliment' being used to mean a mere formal politeness, not necessarily a praise.