Wordcraft Community Home Page
Ridden or riddled?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/2950039946

June 04, 2012, 08:10
<Proofreader>
Ridden or riddled?
A recent story about an atrocity in the Middle East said officials had found many "bullet-ridden" bodies. However, I can't find any dictionary that accepts this usage. Shouldn't it be "bullet-riddled"?
June 04, 2012, 13:27
zmježd
The two words to riddle 'to fill with numerous holes; to put through a sieve' and riddle 'conundrum' are not related. The former is from the Middle English ridelen 'to sift' (< Old English hriddel 'sieve'), and the latter is from Old English rædels 'counsel; enigma, riddle; debate'. As for bullet-ridden: it's a common enough occurrence.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
June 04, 2012, 15:56
Geoff
Riven would have made sense, but not a related word or meaning.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
June 04, 2012, 16:08
<Proofreader>
quote:
As for bullet-ridden: it's a common enough occurrence.

But unaccepted in dics.
June 04, 2012, 17:05
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
As for bullet-ridden: it's a common enough occurrence.

Maybe by analogy with crime-ridden, devil-ridden, gang-ridden etc.
June 04, 2012, 19:58
Kalleh
I've certainly heard it before, and there are more than 500,000 Google hits on it (though some are "riddled" and other things, as often happens when you search for a word in Google). Interesting that the dictionary doesn't cite it, but then we know about those dictionaries! Wink
June 05, 2012, 05:34
wordmatic
This is one of those places where my inner editor would have gone with the "riddled" as being more accurate.

WM
June 05, 2012, 20:14
Kalleh
I have no idea if this is true, but my interpretation would be that "riddled" means the bullets are all over the man, but "bullet ridden" would mean he may have one, or more, bullets in him.