Wordcraft Community Home Page
Anybody here speak Italian?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3110018076

April 15, 2014, 17:00
Geoff
Anybody here speak Italian?
In the latter episodes of the 1960s TV series, "McHale's Navy, McHale and crew were supposedly stationed in the town of Voltafiore. I know that "fiore" is "flowers, and that "Volta" is a family name (from which we have the unit of electrical measurement)but what does "volta" actually mean? I can't find it.
April 15, 2014, 17:30
<Proofreader>
It's from track and field. Originally it was pole volta.
April 15, 2014, 19:35
tinman
From the OED Online:
quote:
volta, n.
Etymology: < Italian volta turn, etc., feminine past participle of volgere, volvere to turn, employed as a noun.

Volta or La Volta, is a type of dance. See Volta at Wikipedia for a number of uses of the word.
April 15, 2014, 20:27
Kalleh
Google Translate says that volta means "time" in Italian.
April 16, 2014, 09:14
zmježd
Some of the meanings of volta.

It does not mean time as an abstract concept, but in the sense of an event that happened at some indeterminate time, e.g., c'era una volta means "once upon a time".

The name of the factitious town reminds me of another Italian compound: girasole 'sunflower' which is a calque on herliotrope (from Greek). Just an idea.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
April 16, 2014, 09:27
Geoff
Since I don't differentiate between "V" and "B" very well, I had long thought that it was "Boltafiore." Bolta is cattle fodder, which, I assume, flowers at some point.
April 16, 2014, 21:06
Kalleh
quote:
It does not mean time as an abstract concept, but in the sense of an event that happened at some indeterminate time, e.g., c'era una volta means "once upon a time".
Very interesting. I hadn't thought about it before, but there are a number of different concepts for time, aren't there?