Wordcraft Community Home Page
Favorites

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3120019476

December 01, 2014, 13:17
<Proofreader>
Favorites
Here is a discussion about "favorite words." I can't think of one that I like more than others. Can you?
December 01, 2014, 20:36
Kalleh
Interesting, Proof. Some are real common (wistful. Others aren't in proper dictionaries: hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian. But of these, I guess I'd have to say kerfuffle wins. I've always loved that word.

I see that epicaricacy was surprisingly missing. Wink
December 03, 2014, 09:39
Geoff
My favourites have fewer than five letters and are pre-1066.
December 03, 2014, 11:30
<Proofreader>
quote:
My favourites have fewer than five letters and are pre-1066.

I imagine most have only four letters?
December 03, 2014, 19:55
Kalleh
So Geoffrey, "favourites?" Is that how you always spell it? It reminds me of z who used to say "in hospital" or "at university." Perhaps we're all England Wannabes. Wink
December 09, 2014, 17:05
Duncan Howell
1. Serendipity. From: Serendip (Ceylon/Sri Lanka) Never been there, though.

2. Saanich. (A city in British Columbia.) Never been there either. Frown
December 10, 2014, 05:10
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
So Geoffrey, "favourites?" Is that how you always spell it?
That was meant as ironic humo(u)r. Nobody understood, alas. As for which of the four humo(u)rs, I leave it to you to discern.
December 10, 2014, 07:08
bethree5
Mine are
Hunker
Spelt
Found
December 10, 2014, 19:45
Kalleh
Those are your favorite words? Found? Tell us why.
December 12, 2014, 06:30
bethree5
Well those are just a few. 'Favorite words' - words taken out of contsxt - for me are like art objects: suggestive of images, having echoes of other words & meanings - in short, words that make me feel like using them in a poem. 'Hunker' used to be great that way, surprising also, due to rare use. By end-20thc. every poet worth salt had used it at least once. I like 'spelt' because of its oddness & possible punniness (wheat, 'spelled'), possible rhymes, & general attraction to short words with closed endings for poetry. I love 'found' because it has those qualities while also possessing rich meaning & echoes of other suggestive words like sound/ soundings, zounds, bound, round, pound etc - they all suggest depth or shape or direction.
December 12, 2014, 18:09
Geoff
"Found" is also found in foundries. IIRC, it's also a British near synonym to Lousiana creole, "lagniappe." Ah, now there's a sweetly-disposed word! Not a mean meaning in it!
December 12, 2014, 20:37
Kalleh
Well, that makes sense, Bethree, and really gives me another way to look at favorite words.

Our kids' high school holds a musical every year called "Lagniappe" If you click that link and the the "Learn about New Trier's Lagniappe-Potpourri 70 plus year tradition" you see that it started as "Lagniappe," then in the 70s seemed to have morphed to "Potpourri" and then to "Lagniappe-Potpourri."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
December 13, 2014, 08:33
Geoff
What happened between 1971-1972? Did the school staff decide they didn't like Louisiana creole and opted for a proper French word? Maybe "mélange" next year?
December 13, 2014, 09:45
goofy
"There are anticlimaxes; but the reader forgives them indulgently; he is well enough nourished, all the more so since there is all that wonderful assonant humor and derision in mid-panel: indeed, not infrequently the true climaxes come in the penultimate panel, and the rest is lagniappe."

from William F Buckley's introduction to "Doonesbury's Greatest Hits"
December 13, 2014, 13:44
Geoff
Ah, yes, Buckley. I used to watch him on PBS when he had his show on it years ago. I owe much of my vocabulary to him.
December 14, 2014, 07:05
<Proofreader>
quote:
I owe much of my vocabulary to him.

As do I to Jimmy Durante.
December 14, 2014, 16:10
Geoff
You knew Mrs Calabash? Where was she?
December 14, 2014, 17:49
<Proofreader>
I assume she's pushing up daisies somewhere.
December 14, 2014, 20:30
Kalleh
As you know, there were often debates between Noam Chomsky and William F. Buckley. Here is a short clip of Chomsky's thoughts on the death of Buckley. He was really quite honest ( E.g., "Some think he was witty, not me of course..."). However, I was intrigued with his thoughts about the real meaning of "conservatism." Geoff, I believe he agrees with you on that. At any rate, he said by today's standards Buckley was really quite moderate.