Wordcraft Community Home Page
Can not

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3120036726

July 07, 2011, 20:59
Kalleh
Can not
My daughter asked me this grammatical question, and I am not sure, though I am leaning toward it being correct:

A friend said that there are times when it's better to use "can not" because "cannot" doesn't work. What do you think? His example was, "I can not report the crime, but I should." My daughter thinks in that case it should be, "I could not report the crime, but I should" since it's conditional. I think "can not" works, but my daughter does not.

Thoughts?
July 08, 2011, 04:42
zmježd
To me, the two sentences have different meanings. In the cannot version, not reporting has yet taken place; in the could not, the opportunity for reporting it is past, and I would have should have at the end, rather than just plain should.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
July 08, 2011, 05:57
BobHale
There is also a difference (if you take the gap as indicative of stress) between the original two suggestions.

I cannot report it. - It's impossible.

I CAN NOT report it. - I can choose to not report it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 08, 2011, 11:58
Geoff
Bob, you're still with us! Smile Hope the lapse while setting up in China is brief!

To me, "could (choose to) not report the crime" is clearer. As you say, it indicates condition.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
July 08, 2011, 15:28
BobHale
Not in China yet - not for six weeks yet. Still in Harrow.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
July 08, 2011, 21:47
Kalleh
Yes, I tend to agree with you, Bob. I think my daughter is wrong.

I agree, z, that there should be a have after should.