Wordcraft Community Home Page
Blimp

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/314103095

July 01, 2004, 05:19
Graham Nice
Blimp
I am sure that blimp, meaning airship, has an interesting etymology, but I have forgotten it. Does anybody know it?

I ask becuase my wife described herself as looking like a blimp wearing a tent yesterday. I disagreed with her, naturally, over the sentiment, but we agreed that blimp was a nice word.
July 01, 2004, 05:37
arnie
One article I found was at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blimp
quote:
The term 'blimp' is reportedly onomatopoeic, the sound the airship makes when one taps the envelope (balloon) with a finger. Although there is some disagreement among historians, credit for coining the term is usually given to Lt. A.D. Conningham of the British Royal Navy in 1915.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 02, 2004, 08:05
Kalleh
I disagreed with her, naturally, over the sentiment, but we agreed that blimp was a nice word.
Awww, what a nice husband! Smile We women often fish for compliments and/or the truth by criticizing ourselves. I will ask my husband, "does this make me look too fat?" I think my point is to allow him the chance to be honest without looking like he's critical, but I don't know for sure! Wink

Do you Brits know about our famous "Goodyear Blimp?"
July 05, 2004, 15:37
<Asa Lovejoy>
I'd also heard that since it's a non-rigid airship, the name derived from its being, when deflated, a "baloon, limp," which was shortened to "blimp."

The name is as etymologically ambiguous as "Jeep," several renderings of which I have heard. Now what I'd like to know is where the assinine moniker, "SUV" came from. While some say it's "Sport Utility Vehicle, " I NEVER see one of them doing anything other than hauling non-sporting types to the grocery store, so forget the "Sport" bit! "Jeep clone," yes, but why "SUV?"
December 11, 2010, 12:43
Geoff
Digging up this old thread to answer the late Asa Lovejoy's query above regarding "SUV:" Crosley, the maker of everything from radios to refrigerators to WWII proximity fuses to, finally, cars, coined the term in 1947
http://crosleyautoclub.com/Crosley_Firsts.html
Now, Asa, you old wretch, you can RIP!

PS: What's become of Graham?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
December 11, 2010, 19:40
Kalleh
quote:
PS: What's become of Graham?
Ah well, what has happened to a lot of posters. People come and go, though we do have a nice core of people. I think life just changes.

Asa was one of our original people, but you've taken over for him quite well. Still, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Asa.
December 13, 2010, 11:56
arnie
quote:
you've taken over for him quite well.

Well enough, but I preferred Asa. Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 09, 2011, 18:53
<Proofreader>
quote:
Crosley, the maker of everything from radios to refrigerators to WWII proximity fuses to, finally, cars, coined the term in 1947

Looks like a station wagon to me.