Wordcraft Community Home Page
Master

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/324103965

June 20, 2004, 11:51
Kalleh
Master
I recently read an article saying that etiquette here in the U.S. states that boys 7 and under should be called (formally, of course!) "master," from 8-17 only their names, and 18 and over, "mister."

That made me wonder how the term "master" got to be a term for a little boy. The definition of "master" is "expert" or "head of the household." Why would it then mean something that's completely the opposite?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
June 20, 2004, 12:46
jheem
It's interesting that both master and mister come from the same Latin word magister 'master; lit., he who is great' < magis 'more', from the PIE root *meg- q.v. whence also much, major, and mega- (as in megabyte). As for the etiquette, I'm sure somebody else will fill us in on it.
June 21, 2004, 17:18
Chris J. Strolin
I'm presently 52 and I can recall, as a child, receiving mail (the occasional birthday card or whatever) addressed to "Master Chris Strolin." It always struck me as being a little Little Lord Fauntleroy-ish.
June 23, 2004, 20:54
Kalleh
Well, of course my question wasn't about the etiquette. I was asking how "master," which comes from magister, meaning "he who is great," came to mean a small boy. That meaning seemed to be opposite from the meaning of the word. I tried World Wide Words and Word Detective, to no avail.
June 23, 2004, 21:57
jheem
It probably has more to do with social forces, calling a young priveleged male master.
June 24, 2004, 10:05
aput
Master was formerly used of grown men -- "Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man" --, and as master and mister are the same word the question is why mister displaced it in that sense.
June 28, 2004, 14:13
Chris J. Strolin
"Master" is also short for "Master Sergeant." When I was in the Air Force, I knew a Master Sergeant whose last name was, I kid you not, "Bader."

You never saw a guy study so hard for promotion!
June 28, 2004, 16:19
aput
Hm, I knew someone called Bate. Same ol'.