Wordcraft Community Home Page
Dahlias, Dahling

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3361024724

January 18, 2007, 15:54
saranita
Dahlias, Dahling
Last night I caught part of the old movie "Travels with My Aunt." In it, a British fellow talks about growing his dahlias, which he pronounces: DAILyuz. In Ohio, we say: DALyuz, first syllable rhyming with the name "Al." Until last night, I would have guessed that the British would pronounce it DAHLyuz, first syllable rhyming with "doll." Anyone?
January 18, 2007, 19:52
Kalleh
We say DALyuz in Illinois, and I, too, would have thought that both the American east coasters and the British would say DAHLyuz.
January 19, 2007, 07:57
Richard English
It's DAILyuz where I live.

Richard English
January 20, 2007, 08:28
wordnerd
I was curious if the origin of the word would give a clue, so I checked et-online.This raises two questions:
  • Has anyone ever heard "blue dahlia"?
  • Which way would the name "Dahl" be pronounced in Swedish: like the British pronunciation of the flower, or like the US one?
  • January 20, 2007, 08:45
    BobHale
    I remember seeing an episode of Tales of the Unexpected called The Blue Dahlia.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
    January 20, 2007, 11:11
    Hic et ubique
    quote:
    Originally posted by Richard English:
    It's DAILyuz where I live.
    Thank you. You've now explained what has always perplexed me about an old limerick.
    January 20, 2007, 11:20
    zmježd
    Which way would the name "Dahl" be pronounced in Swedish: like the British pronunciation of the flower, or like the US one?

It's always difficult with names because they can be pronounced in a variety of non-standard ways and who's to say which is correct. It's somebody's name after all. More like with the AH of the US, rather than the AY of the British.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.